One Martin still returning to roost

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
TomBrake

One Martin still returning to roost

Postby TomBrake » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:55 pm

September 27 and this martin, a female or HY young has been returning each night since July 31 when my last birds fledged.
I’ve never heard it vocalize. Comes in right at sunset , circles once or twice and tucks into one of the three top ChirpyNest cavities on this pole. I’ve watched every night and it is a punctual bird.
Has anyone else ever had this happen? My first Martin returned March 15 so I’ve had martins spending the night for all four seasons now.
Abingdon Virginia
Attachments
DCED520E-9058-41BA-A783-84973B9DB3D1.jpeg
DCED520E-9058-41BA-A783-84973B9DB3D1.jpeg (295.97 KiB) Viewed 353 times
CC39641C-9877-4D52-AE57-A8FFF23956CF.jpeg
CC39641C-9877-4D52-AE57-A8FFF23956CF.jpeg (334.06 KiB) Viewed 353 times

Brad Biddle

Re: One Martin still returning to roost

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:54 pm

That seems very odd to me. That very well may be the only Purple Martin still in Virginia.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

TomBrake

Postby TomBrake » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:15 pm

October 1st and again this martin returns to spend the night. I’m wondering if she will ever leave.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 am

Tom that is strange, the urge to migrate is a strong one; wonder why the heck she/he keeps coming back? looks like your area temps will be in for a change. I hope that Martin takes the hint and heads south for it's own sake.
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 am

Sounds to me like you’re gonna be feeding a Martin all winter. I’ve never seen a Martin around here after the first few days of August.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Tom, hes right. May want to prepare for that. Crickets are calling her name. I hope for the martins sake it doesnt stay but its something to prepare for.
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

TomBrake

Postby TomBrake » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:00 am

Tom that is strange, the urge to migrate is a strong one; wonder why the heck she/he keeps coming back? looks like your area temps will be in for a change. I hope that Martin takes the hint and heads south for it's own sake.
We will see. I thought she had moved on as I did not see her return Thursday evening but Friday she returned at 7:18 pm. Close to dark.
I’ve never wanted a martin to leave my site before but I’m doing so now. Just hope she has the proper wiring to go.

C.C.Martins
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Oh boy. Will supplemental feeding be enough i wonder. Hope she goes south with these next few frontal boundaries. Shell be easy enough to catch but then what? A bit early but is there a rehabber that has the facilities to accept a martin over winter? Man i hope she goes, im with you last thing we want during the season but this...yeah shes got something wrong...what a "hobby." Tough to turn a blind eye and let nature take its course. Its not what we do.
Tom

2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged

ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Postby ToyinPA » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:14 am

I would guess it's a HY. Some get left behind by their parents. I had one stay late one year & worried we'd have to catch it & feed it all winter, which isn't usually possible. It finally left. Eventually yours should head south.

This year I had a chick that got left behind. Parents didn't come back to fed him once his clutch mate fledged. I moved him to another nest twice. He tried to fledge many times, but without his parents he'd end up on the ground each time. I can't tell you how many times we rescued him & put him back. His foster parents would fed him, but once their chicks started to fledge, & he didn't, they refused to do anything with him, even saw them shove him aside & hiss at him. It came down to him being alone all day from dusk to dawn. Any martin that came close he'd beg for food, but get none. I ended up hand feeding him 3-4 times a day. He would sit on the porch railing & ride the whole way down, knowing it was time to get fed. Finally on day 11, yes 11, his parents & clutch mate showed up. I assumed they had left for roost & weren't coming back at all. I quickly moved him back to his original nest & they took to him right away. Next day his parents were begging him to fledge, but he'd end up on the ground. He finally fledged, with our help tossing him high in the air & his parents chasing after him. After several hours sitting on a patio roof & then a house roof, they got him to fly off to the river for food. When they came in for the night he was flying as tho he had been for days. They came & went for a few days then left for roost. I was never so happy as to see a chick fledge & leave for the season.

In my case this chick was doomed unless his parents came back. They do not do well in captivity. In your case you have a fully fledged bird that most likely got left behind & is not sure what to do. Hopefully his instincts will kick in soon. I would not supplement feed him. Let nature kick in & send him south.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
PMCA Member

C.C.Martins
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:57 pm

Toy, suppose so. Feeding will encourage it to stay. Its mixed up enough. One for the books. Wonder how many martins do that once they are roosting?
Tom

2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged

TomBrake

Postby TomBrake » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 am

I would guess it's a HY. Some get left behind by their parents. I had one stay late one year & worried we'd have to catch it & feed it all winter, which isn't usually possible. It finally left. Eventually yours should head south.

This year I had a chick that got left behind. Parents didn't come back to fed him once his clutch mate fledged. I moved him to another nest twice. He tried to fledge many times, but without his parents he'd end up on the ground each time. I can't tell you how many times we rescued him & put him back. His foster parents would fed him, but once their chicks started to fledge, & he didn't, they refused to do anything with him, even saw them shove him aside & hiss at him. It came down to him being alone all day from dusk to dawn. Any martin that came close he'd beg for food, but get none. I ended up hand feeding him 3-4 times a day. He would sit on the porch railing & ride the whole way down, knowing it was time to get fed. Finally on day 11, yes 11, his parents & clutch mate showed up. I assumed they had left for roost & weren't coming back at all. I quickly moved him back to his original nest & they took to him right away. Next day his parents were begging him to fledge, but he'd end up on the ground. He finally fledged, with our help tossing him high in the air & his parents chasing after him. After several hours sitting on a patio roof & then a house roof, they got him to fly off to the river for food. When they came in for the night he was flying as tho he had been for days. They came & went for a few days then left for roost. I was never so happy as to see a chick fledge & leave for the season.

In my case this chick was doomed unless his parents came back. They do not do well in captivity. In your case you have a fully fledged bird that most likely got left behind & is not sure what to do. Hopefully his instincts will kick in soon. I would not supplement feed him. Let nature kick in & send him south.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
I am glad you posted this experience. I am more confident that she will head south soon. the weather is now cooling and I have had other landlords nearby say they have seen other martins, not necessarily roosting at their site, but the fact there are others around I think they have a way to get together. Such mysteries to solve.

TomBrake

Postby TomBrake » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:06 pm

September 27 and this martin, a female or HY young has been returning each night since July 31 when my last birds fledged.
I’ve never heard it vocalize. Comes in right at sunset , circles once or twice and tucks into one of the three top ChirpyNest cavities on this pole. I’ve watched every night and it is a punctual bird.
Has anyone else ever had this happen? My first Martin returned March 15 so I’ve had martins spending the night for all four seasons now.
Abingdon Virginia
October 8th my martins finally failed to return. Hasn’t been back so I think it’s gone for the season.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site

Postby Dave Reynolds » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:40 pm

....Tom Brake .... That’s good news that she/he decided the move South.. She/he will be just fine and will enjoy her vacation and will be right before you know it... March 2020 is not that far away.. Good luck next year..

Dave
Home Site
2019 — First pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged :wink:
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2019 -- 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged :wink:
2018 — 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:

PMCA Member

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”