Rain, cold...update in central PA

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Rain, cold...update in central PA

Postby ToyinPA » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Geez will this weather ever get better???? Rain, cold nights, wind.

June 3rd overnight temp dropped to 38. A few decent days then rain & cold wind. Tuesday June 11th we had cold north winds all night & day steady at 13mph, gusting to 26mph. Temps dropped to 38F Wednesday morning June 12th. It's raining again & 58F at 1:30PM today June 13th. I just came in from flipping crickets. Eggs are due to hatch any day now,if they weren't damaged by the cold.

I lost an ASY Male & a female. Assuming a hawk got them. They were from different nests & had their own nests built. The ASY Male had no mate yet, but had built a nest. The female was paired with an ASY male that is still here & trying to find another mate. They had a nest with green leaves, ready to lay eggs, when she went missing. He searched for her for 3 or 4 days, before he gave up.

I've had several SY males visit. So far 2 have stayed. Assuming the rest moved on north.

I currently have 6 pair plus 1 ASY Male (lost his mate) & 2 SY males with no mates. Possible new Female arrived yesterday, but not sure if she stayed. 27 eggs laid - 1 tossed/bad = 26 eggs. I know 2 of those 26 are bad, so 24 eggs so far.

We have a nasty annoying crow that's been a royal pain. He's scouting the neighborhood daily. He's been chased off by the martins, robins, grackles & us daily. He's landed on the power lines close to the martin houses & on the cross bars on top of the poles. I rescued a newly fledge robin chick from him the other night. It was sitting out in the open in the alley. Parents were going crazy, because the crow was after it. I shooed it back into our yard & to a safe hiding place. Then I chased the crow off. I assume it survived, because the parents weren't fussing after that.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Re: Rain, cold...update in central PA

Postby Hanover Bill » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:45 am

Hi Toy;

The weather hasn't been quite as bad over here as what you are dealing with, but it is still chilly and wet enough for me to be concerned about hypothermia. I have a lot of just newly hatched chicks out there, so the timing of the weather isn't good. Supposed to be decent today and tomorrow and then lots more rain moving in on Sunday.

We are in the middle of the 17yr. Cicada invasion so finding food hasn't been an issue around here. In fact I have never seen the Martins stick around so close to home to feed all day long, I guess they are feeding on the Cicadas.

Hopefully you will be seeing some better weather soon.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Postby ToyinPA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Toy;

The weather hasn't been quite as bad over here as what you are dealing with, but it is still chilly and wet enough for me to be concerned about hypothermia. I have a lot of just newly hatched chicks out there, so the timing of the weather isn't good. Supposed to be decent today and tomorrow and then lots more rain moving in on Sunday.

We are in the middle of the 17yr. Cicada invasion so finding food hasn't been an issue around here. In fact I have never seen the Martins stick around so close to home to feed all day long, I guess they are feeding on the Cicadas.

Hopefully you will be seeing some better weather soon.

Hanover Bill.
Hi Bill:

This cold wet weather worries me too. Hatching is due to start today & it's chilly & windy. It's supposed to warm up after today, but with lots of rain in the forecast for next week. We could all use a break on this weather.

No cicada here yet. We have't had them bad since the 70's.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
PMCA Member

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Toy,
I was hoping for dryer weather for you and the northern land lords this year. Mother nature takes her toll. I hope your single birds rally and find a mate though. Fingers crossed for your eggs!
Tom
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

gotham
Martin Colony History: Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967. New martin house 2019 (Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays).

Postby gotham » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi Toy,

Very sorry to read about the loss of your adult male and female.

I can see that when one succeeds in getting a colony going the initial concern regarding attracting martins who will stay is supplanted to some extent by the concerns re maintaining the health of the colony throughout the nesting and breeding season.

Wishing your colony well,
Gotham

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:21 pm

I had a lot of eggs that started hatching yesterday and several that are a few days old. We had a couple hours dry time this morning and then it rained until abou 4:00 pm. We got a break for an hour or so and they were out feeding. Calling for rain every day for the next 8 days, hoping for some dry spells each day.

How long can baby martins go without food? I also know that adult martins typically won't take supplemental feed until they have been without food for a couple days. Will they take it if they are not hungry but need to feed their young? I have a great season going so far and am hoping it doesn't get ruined by the weather.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

ToyinPA

Postby ToyinPA » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 am

I had a lot of eggs that started hatching yesterday and several that are a few days old. We had a couple hours dry time this morning and then it rained until abou 4:00 pm. We got a break for an hour or so and they were out feeding. Calling for rain every day for the next 8 days, hoping for some dry spells each day.

How long can baby martins go without food? I also know that adult martins typically won't take supplemental feed until they have been without food for a couple days. Will they take it if they are not hungry but need to feed their young? I have a great season going so far and am hoping it doesn't get ruined by the weather.
This weather sure has been a pain. We're to have rain every day the same as your area. All we can hope for is this weather pattern changes soon.

Parents usually feed newly hatched chicks every 15-20 minutes throughout the day & do one last feeding just before dark. Around 10 days old the time increases to 30-45 minutes. They start with small insects & increase the size as the chicks grow. As long as there are breaks in the rain they will look for food.

As far as parents accepting supplement food when they have chicks to feed?....the answer is yes they will. If your colony is trained to do so, I would suggest, during these bad weather days, to offer it & watch to see if they are taking it back to the nest. Try to offer it 3-4 times a day, when the rain is down to light or just sprinkles. If possible do nest checks daily or every other day. You are looking for chicks with wrinkled bellies. That's an indication they are starving/underfed.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks for the input. Early this season I had to flip crickets for the first time ever. They took to it quickly but that is only when I had about 12 martins here. So far this morning the weather is better then predicted. Yesterday the forecast showed rain all day today and now it is clear and sunny and only a chance of rain this afternoon.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”