New landlord survey

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Buckdog122

New landlord survey

Postby Buckdog122 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:21 am

I was just wondering how many people trying to start a new colony have had any luck thus far. I’ve seen a few flyovers here in SE Ohio but no real luck so far. Just curious how many newbies have had luck so far?
Buckdog122

BillieJR

Re: New landlord survey

Postby BillieJR » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm

I am one and I have not seen even one yet. Good luck to you and all the others who are trying to start a colony and to all of those who already have successful colonies - I wanna be you. :)
Billie from southern Wisonsin

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2018, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi BuckDog,
When starting a brand new colony; the martins that will start the colony will be the young martins that were hatched last year. These youngsters are known as SY or second year martins that were from another colony in your area. They arrive roughly 4-6 weeks after the ASY or after second year martins have shown up in your area. The yellow dots under the research scout arrival map on the website are SY martins.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Good day dawg and bill, I’m new at the Martin gig. I started last year and was late getting up and running. This year I was ready ahead of the curve . I had lots of lookers and the neighbors birds would come everyday and visit. I had one sy male that would rush in at dark and stayed in a certain gourd. All by himself. So ‘18 that was it. I named him the “nut”. I mean why would you run down here at dark and leave 18 others three houses away to be by yourself ?! So guess what this year the nut returned as a ASY and when he showed up he went straight to the same gourd he was in last year! It had to be him. With in a few days he showed up with a chic,then in a few more days they showed up with another pair,then about two weeks later another pair! So they’ve all been here for quite a while now . They are very pair bonded at this point and have all picked a certain gourd and sleep as pairs. Pretty cool. I haven’t noticed any nest building yet. All gourds and houses were pre nested with pine straw,but would expect they would bring in at least some additional stick or something. It’s been a journey and I feel very lucky to have received three pair in my first year! I wish you guys all the luck in the world ,persist and continue. There is still time in your area for some sub adults to find you.
David in Louisiana.

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:46 pm

As a matter of fact if you’ll check the map for Ohio it looks like the birds have steady arriving over the last few weeks and as recent as yesterday,remain vigilant guys it happen . And listen to mr Duit,he has helped me along the way also.Good luck

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2018, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks for the good words DavidPM.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

MY FYN 79

Postby MY FYN 79 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:55 am

New landlord here and I haven't seen anything yet.

I'm not very far from, and also drive past what I believe to be Bob Ring's setup quite often. So I know they are in the area for sure! :grin:

Dave Duit

Postby Dave Duit » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 am

I know it is a difficult thing to admit, but sometimes it can take years before a newbie gets the first pair. I live on a 12 acre lake with all the bells and whistles ready for incoming second year martins and waited 6 years for my first pair. I do recall how frustrating it was waiting to just get one pair. I guess what I'm saying is stay strong. Even if a new landlord does EVERYTHING right, it may simply be a matter of time. I wish all the new purple martin people the best and I will say a little prayer that a few purple gems decide to make your location home.

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks, Dave! I know what you're saying and keep reminding myself of that but also watch and wait with hope that this is the year. It will happen - just don't know when. This isn't my first year of waiting - but hopefully it'll be my last. :)

Buckdog122

Postby Buckdog122 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:58 am

I had a female or an ay (not sure) circle and land a few times yesterday and It was like I was looking up at an alien. Just walking and smiling looking in the air. So exciting. Neighbors definitely think I’ve lost my marbles! Good luck:)
Buckdog

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Lol! I think many of us look like we've lost our marbles. :) Good luck!

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Good news Buckdog! It was most likely a female, the scout map is not showing any sy birds that far North yet. Keep us posted, I would love to hear that she brought a mate back with her.

Bird Brain

Postby Bird Brain » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:37 pm

This is my 3rd season trying. 16 foot, Deluxe Gourd Rack, 3 inch pole, Troyer gourds, all house sparrows eliminated, pine needles added, and still nothing. There is a 20 year old thriving colony less than a mile away with 6X6 rooms, round entrance holes and infested with HOSP, unbelievable. My setup looks like paradise compared to this one. I'm not bitter or despaired. I think it will happen for me. The patience is the hardest part about this hobby. I've decided to wait 7 more years if I have to. I think 10 years is long enough. If I don't get martins after 10 years trying, I'll convert my martin pole to a bat house pole. I've had good luck with bats. I have a thriving bat colony. Good luck everyone.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

dragonfly

Postby dragonfly » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 am

if you have a good location to start with ,that has a open flyway , you should have PM ‘s in two years or less in Texas , i don’t like gourds as primary attraction, last cavity the birds occupied at my location, might try a house unit , i have at least 35 pair now in my fourth year , k18 gourd unit still only 4 pair , south Arkansas

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:04 am

Bird Brain are you playing the dawn song with decoys as well. You should at a minimum be seeing visitors.

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 am

If you are in Ohio, I would encourage you to visit PMLOVER here on the Forum.

He has hundred's of Martins and you will probably learn a few things about housing Martins that you do not know. It will definately be motivational to see how many Martins you can have if you take care of them.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year
2019- Eyes open

Postby randy741985 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:19 pm

This is my Second year, I have seen a few martins checking out my gourds but still have not had a pair to stay. Hoping it is going to pickup in the coming days. I was better prepared this year I had a blue bird box within 25 feet which I have a pair of blue birds nesting, I also have gourd placed low on a Pole for tree swallows but none nesting in it. I play the dawn song when I can but like many I have to work. I will say patience is needed in this hobby so I want it to happen this year but if doesnt I will try again next year.

Best of luck to everyone, If I do get a pair I will post it.
2018-14 Gourds First Year
0-Martins

Birds
Martin Colony History: 2017: nothing, 2018: discovered the PMCA, new house modifications 2019:Still no Martins. House sparrow and starling hate forever.

Postby Birds » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:37 pm

I have not seen any purple martins this year either, I know it's still early but I can't wait!. I have been having starling problems, lately they have been getting through my starling resistance entrance holes and it has been getting on my nerves. Hopefully you have been having better luck than I have.
2017 :installed a Martin house hoping for Martins.
2018 :discovered the PMCA made modifications to a heath house .
2019 : Still no martins yet. House sparrow and starlings hate forever.
Tip :never give up

tboydshirt
Martin Colony History: new in 2017, but ready for lots of birds. 44 gourds and 40 t14 style holes

Postby tboydshirt » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:12 am

Hi buckdog, I'm in north central Ohio and this will be my 4th year trying in good martin country (Amish). this year the closest I've come to a martin landing here was a week ago when an adult male landed several times looking at different openings. nothing since but it seems martins are drifting in later than last year for most Ohioans. I'm patiently waiting for young birds which won't start arriving till the end of the month. Good luck to you, and all of us in getting one of the spill overs from last year's hatch. I will have lots of styles of housing as you can sort of see in the attached photo taken 6 weeks ago.
tim boyd
Attachments
martin houses 72dpi.jpg
(458.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year
2019- Eyes open

Postby randy741985 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi buckdog, I'm in north central Ohio and this will be my 4th year trying in good martin country (Amish). this year the closest I've come to a martin landing here was a week ago when an adult male landed several times looking at different openings. nothing since but it seems martins are drifting in later than last year for most Ohioans. I'm patiently waiting for young birds which won't start arriving till the end of the month. Good luck to you, and all of us in getting one of the spill overs from last year's hatch. I will have lots of styles of housing as you can sort of see in the attached photo taken 6 weeks ago.
tim boyd

That is a good-looking site and pretty country side.

Good luck.
2018-14 Gourds First Year
0-Martins

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”