Louisiana-maybe a first pair

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
deancamp

Re: Louisiana-maybe a first pair

Postby deancamp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 am

I agree and have heard others say that if you attract an ASY male, he will start your colony. Give him time and hang in there.

Jeff

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:00 am

Hey Lowe, yes I believe she has been stolen away,however as I said the male did return last night. The neighbors house is close enough that I can look down there across three 2 acre yards and see his houses. Right now it’s 8:50 and there are two ASY males sitting on two different houses here in my yard resting,they poke around and look in this hole and that hole ,they’ve even landed on a few of the gourd perches and looked in. So who knows. Do you think given my such southerly location that the subs have passed through or what? I’m in central la. (Alexandria La.) we leave early for work and return late so a lot of all this daily stuff I never see except when I’m home on Saturday and sundays. The wife goes to work some days at noon and always says they all come down in the mornings and hang out and circle and land and look,come and go.

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:27 am

And now that I’m home long enough to watch,going in and out of several different gourds,and one male went in and stayed about twenty minutes just resting,and the other male sittin on the perch on a gourd for a while.

Robert

Postby Robert » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

PMDavid hang in there the SYs have not passed you yet it is still early in your season , my colony started with six gourds three ASY males and two SY females and one ASY female .
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
38 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks dean ,rob,and Lowe. Keepin the hope alive man......after last post this morning there were the same three visitor males from the neighbors down here and two got in gourds and one in a house and just all hung out for about 45 minutes. Sitting inside lookin out and chatterin,they’d fly off for a minute then back again . It was cold this morning and it looked like they were just restin and keepin warm. I thought they might be trying to attract a female by leavin and comin right back but there were none in the area. They usually mock dive and cackle and sing different when they ar doin that,I think this was just small talk daytime chatter among themselves. Won’t be long and I’ll be out till dark to see what this evening brings. Y’all keep an eye on me. Thanks all. David

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 pm

You have plenty of time for SY's. There has on,y been one reported in Florida so the will begin flowing your way before too long and they will be migrating north for months.
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 am

Thanks Lowe, the one ASY male came home again last night . It’s 8:10 am right now so in about an hour ther will be several down here for their morning social bug session and mornin rest. Report tonight on the male.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 am

Well..... the ASY male continues to come home every night! All by himself since his female was lured away. And he wonders why I named him “the nut” I’m just glad he’s there,maybe he’ll find a new love!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”