DIY winch system?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MNguy
Martin Colony History: 2014 - first year, zero activity
2015 - Nothing
2016 - SY male visited and stayed a few weeks, unable to attract a mate
2017 - SY pair arrived June 6 - 3 eggs laid, 2 hatched, 1 fledged.
2018 - ASY male, SY female - 5 eggs, 5 hatched, lost all 5 prematurely
2019 - ???

DIY winch system?

Postby MNguy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:34 am

Hi All,

Eagerly awaiting spring as we get pounded with another blizzard here in MN. :roll:

I'm upgrading my setup this year. I've purchased the multipurpose pole (just the hub and parts) - I'll be sourcing the 2" aluminum pole from a local metal supply shop. Planning to go with a 16-18 foot pole. I'll have four gourds and two 4 room Watersedge houses.

I'd like to create my own winch system. Has anyone else done this? Finding the winch online is easy enough. My questions are this:

1. Has anyone incorporated the cable or rope inside the pole? If so, any tips or tricks?
2. Any thoughts as to whether I should use a ground sleeve, or just cement the pole in place?
3. Any pictures to share as I "engineer" this system?

Thanks,

JP

phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Re: DIY winch system?

Postby phldave » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:20 pm

The good thing about having the cable on the outside of the pole, it can be readily used to register the rack or house to prevent them from spinning around the pole. This as you have read is important. Everything must always face the same direction.
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week

GFB
Martin Colony History: I Started my first colony with my father in the late 1960's. Started building custom vinyl Martin houses last year 2018 and was successful with 10 birds fledged and it looks like several dozen birds are hanging around. Time to expand.
2018: 1 T-14 and 6 gourds. Fledged 10
2019: 2 T-14's and 6 gourds. Fledged 70

Postby GFB » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:51 pm

JP,
For my T14 over 6 gourdes I used a 2 in by 21 ft galvanized electrical conduit pipe that cost under $100 delivered from my local Secor hardware store. For the winch I used a medium duty boat trailer winch with 45ft of plastic coated steal cable available from Tractor supply. I made the pole swivel up and down between two 4ft pieces of the same size pipe with a 2 ft piece that I used as a spacer that was concreted 30 inches underground with 4 bags of concrete, lots of work but it should last a lifetime. Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_0108 (2).jpg
IMG_0108 (2).jpg (153.18 KiB) Viewed 5131 times

MNguy
Martin Colony History: 2014 - first year, zero activity
2015 - Nothing
2016 - SY male visited and stayed a few weeks, unable to attract a mate
2017 - SY pair arrived June 6 - 3 eggs laid, 2 hatched, 1 fledged.
2018 - ASY male, SY female - 5 eggs, 5 hatched, lost all 5 prematurely
2019 - ???

Postby MNguy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 pm

phldave - I'll be using a square pole, so shouldn't have an issue with orientation - as long as I get it right the first time.

GFB - looks like an incredibly sturdy system! Thanks for the pic. I assume you are using an eyebolt with a pulley at the top?

If anyone has attempted to put the cable inside the pole, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

GFB
Martin Colony History: I Started my first colony with my father in the late 1960's. Started building custom vinyl Martin houses last year 2018 and was successful with 10 birds fledged and it looks like several dozen birds are hanging around. Time to expand.

Postby GFB » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:58 pm

JP, I think you could possibly have one side of the cable inside your square pole by using a 1'' dia pulley with an eye bolt with two pulleys at the top so that one overhangs outside the pole and running down to your house or gourd bracket. The problem I see with that is when the winch cable unwinds it moves side to side and would rub on the side of the hole to the lower pulley. You might be able to use a horizontal arm like the one in the picture and a guide pulley. I also wanted to do this but its complicated and I would like to see if my cable is showing any wear over the years.

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Ill try to get some pics later but My pole is 3.5 inch OD round galvanized steel. I had a metal "box" welded up that is connected to my pole via U bolts and my winch connects to that. I just a slot in the top of the pole and recessed a pulley but I still ran the cable outside of the pole. I didn't see any benefit to running it inside the pole, plus on the outside I can see it to look for any issues. At first I used the plastic coated steel cable but after a few years the plastic started coming off and my T 14 got stuck about halfway down the pole one day. The coating balled up and got stuck. I had to get a ladder and go up and take one section of the house down to free it up. Not a fun job. After that I stripped all the coating off and won't use that type on the new setup I am building.

I did concrete a sleeve in the ground that my pole set in. My pole is 20 feet tall so I put 4 feet in the ground. I am glad I did that, when I moved back in 2012 just used a tractor bucket to left the pole out of the ground and filled the sleeve with dirt and covered it over. You never know when you might need to move your housing for one reason or another.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

nbaum

Postby nbaum » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm

I use a harbor freight $69 electric winch with a remote. Small tractor battery supplies power. I can lift the house or lower it from the living room with the remote. Been using it for 4 years. The winch has a brake to hold the house up.

white-out

Postby white-out » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:12 pm

GFB, nice pole system! May I ask what the white ring around the pole is and made of? thxs

TBaugh
Martin Colony History: 2010 first 2 SK houses on tri poles (Martins found houses)
2011-2015 Total of 5 houses and all 3-1/2" round poles (2-6 pair)
2016 Found PMCI Added handmade crankup with 8 Eliminator gourds
2016 Results 32 cavities, 17 nests, 56 fledged
2017 Add homemade 27 cavity crankup on 3-1/2" sq tube
2017 Results 59 Cavities, 32 Nests, 90? fledged
2018 Replaced 27 cavity plywood crankup with 24 cavity pvc
2018 Results 56 Cavities, 38 Nests, 100+ fledged
2019 Add 12 Eliminator gourds

Postby TBaugh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:08 pm

I built one based in a large part by the ideas on this fellows webpage.
http://www.anderson.cc/masts.html
Good Luck. Square poles don't turn.
2010 first 2 SK houses on tri poles (Martins found houses)
2011-2015 Total of 5 houses and all 3-1/2" round poles (2-6 pair)
2016 Found PMCI Added handmade crankup with 8 Eliminator gourds :idea:
2016 Results 32 cavities, 17 nests, 56 fledged
2017 Add homemade 27 cavity crankup on 3-1/2" sq tube

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:12 pm

GFB, nice pole system! May I ask what the white ring around the pole is and made of? thxs
The white ring is Vinyl sheeting layered and glued together with PVC cement and spun on a lathe. It attaches to the bottom of the assembly and has holes that 6 poles slide in and latch for my gourdes. It can also be used for a predator guard if I attach two pipe halves around it and slide it up the pole four or five feet. I have a tendency to over engineer things because I love building things. That assembly that moves up the pole has a brake if the cable break it won't fall. I also use a solar panel heat and AC system that uses a peltier device and a blower for weather extremes, the hotter it gets, the cooler the air flow and its almost silent, don't use it when we have eggs incubating.

white-out

Postby white-out » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 pm

Ingenious! My father always said "when you going to find time to do it again so, do it right this time. It must have missed me by a mile and struck you. I don't think I have a spot for my house that won't have tall trees close by. A gracious member is going to post an aerial map of my property for expert review.......I'm kind bummed because I've always want to do this when I semi-retired. Thanks for reaching out to me, Doug

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 am

Ingenious! My father always said "when you going to find time to do it again so, do it right this time. It must have missed me by a mile and struck you. I don't think I have a spot for my house that won't have tall trees close by. A gracious member is going to post an aerial map of my property for expert review.......I'm kind bummed because I've always want to do this when I semi-retired. Thanks for reaching out to me, Doug
Your Welcome Doug. As I said before, I think the house you have by the fence looks good to me. I tried to post a video of my first colony 2018 but I wasn't able. Might be my be because of my computer skills are not the best. If you your interested in seeing it you will also see I'm kind of close to trees. Google NYS purple martin project, under (colonies & Data) you will see N.Y.S private colonies. Click on the #2 yellow circle and under Wayne county you can see the video from my first year. Again good luck! Guy

Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - ?

Postby Whippy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:52 am

GFB,

Thanks for posting the information. I watched the video and let it loop several times.

When I started 3 years ago and expressed my interest in Martins, my wife was expecting a good ole fashioned bird house rather, she was presented with a 16 cavity gourd rack when she got home one day. :mrgreen: I'm thinking of putting up a T-14 with gourds next year. I have 320 days to either build my own or acquire one of yours. I like yours a lot.

Again, thanks for the info leading to your video.

Coolwhips.

white-out

Postby white-out » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:57 am

Your Welcome Doug. As I said before, I think the house you have by the fence looks good to me. I tried to post a video of my first colony 2018 but I wasn't able. Might be my be because of my computer skills are not the best. If you your interested in seeing it you will also see I'm kind of close to trees. Google NYS purple martin project, under (colonies & Data) you will see N.Y.S private colonies. Click on the #2 yellow circle and under Wayne county you can see the video from my first year. Again good luck! Guy
[/quote]

Thanks for the video! Can I ask how high your house is and how far from that tree in the background?

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks for the video! Can I ask how high your house is and how far from that tree in the background?
[/quote]

The house is 22ft up and around 80ft from the oak tree. Its close to two of my barns, around 25ft but the birds don't seem to mind it at all. Last summer a hawk flew out of that tree and grabbed one of the birds off the house but fortunately my German shepherd herd the Martin squawking and ran over causing the hawk to drop the bird before it became lunch. She jumped up and just missed the hawk by inches. The martin was unharmed and she fledged 5 chicks.

TheSmiths
Martin Colony History: Trying to attract PMs since 2004; began a more ernest attempt in 2014. Modified Trio M12K at 15' w/3 gourds beneath; multi-rack w/8 gourds mounted at 20'.

2018 — 1 ASY pair & 1 SY pair in the Trio; 1 SY pair in a supergourd on the multi-rack. :D

Postby TheSmiths » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:50 am

I tried to post a video of my first colony 2018 but I wasn't able. Might be my be because of my computer skills are not the best.
It's not your computer skills. I don't believe this forum supports video uploading. You can upload video to the PMCA Facebook Group though.

Kegger
Martin Colony History: a male with some mating calls attracted a female PM in the top of a plastic barn like birdhouse(unkept) on a triangular pole (16 room) last March . Occupied by wrens which kicked them out. I got too many bugs, live on a salt water canal to Charlotte Harbor. started to build a couple 36 room houses for PM about a month ago.

Postby Kegger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 pm

GFB: still working on 2 3 story 6 sided PM condos with 9 units each, I figured on building a pole similar to the picture
you posted. Thanks for posting all info and picture.
I reside in Fl and considered an exhaust fan to draw air thru entrances up a 2" chimney and out venting
thru the roof and perforated soffit overhang. was interested in your solar /fan setup. What size is it and where can I
buy 2? Mike 8)
Last edited by Kegger on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am

Hi Mike, The solar cooling and heating system I use for the houses isn't something you can buy, I tinkered around and made it. I have it running everyday checking the longevity of the boxer fan, going on 3 years now. The parts needed are 2 peltier modules that are available at most electronic supply sores for around 8 to 12 dollars each, a 6 or 12v boxer fan, a SPDT switch used to change polarity of the pelters for the heating and cooling, I use the metal pole for the heat sink to dissipate the heat generated by the opposite side of the peltiers. The panal was the most expensive part. I used a 12v 25W battery charging system that they use for boat or RV battery charging. the total cost was around $130 for everything. We didn't have many days this summer over 90 degrees that I was worried about the chicks overheating but the few we did have I know the house never got above the 70's. When I'm finished the testing I can post pictures and how to make this thing.Thanks for asking, Guy

Kegger
Martin Colony History: a male with some mating calls attracted a female PM in the top of a plastic barn like birdhouse(unkept) on a triangular pole (16 room) last March . Occupied by wrens which kicked them out. I got too many bugs, live on a salt water canal to Charlotte Harbor. started to build a couple 36 room houses for PM about a month ago.

Postby Kegger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 am

GFB: I have to laugh at my self, you answered before I figured out how to edit my 1st post! I would appreciate
more info and pictures. I thought of this as a wild idea and here you did it. I would not need more heat here in Florida,
but where you are I can understand . I was cold up there in the summer months around Pultneyville salmon fishing.
Never heard of a boxer fan

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:00 am

Kegger: When you were fishing in Pultneyville you were only 4 miles from my house. I should have had my purple martin sanctuary sign out to draw you in to check out our colony but it would have been off season. I'm trying to make the area were my houses are look like a little park with
some nice landscaping and a stone paver area with seating but now that I'm retired the money thing becomes an issue. Maybe I can do a little every year until I get it done.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”