North Alabama Roost Ring Spotted on Radar

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MorganW_AL

North Alabama Roost Ring Spotted on Radar

Postby MorganW_AL » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post!
This year I have gotten interested in trying to "find" roost rings on radar. I've had little success. However, the professionals in the area have spotted a ring. A local meteorologist tweeted the loop this morning. It is near Town Creek. Assumingly, it is the one that was originally at the boat harbor in Decatur and in later years moved west. Here is a link to the tweet:

@simpsonwhnt’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/simpsonwhnt/status/ ... 91392?s=01

It has been fun and rewarding following this forum from the shadows for so long. Now, I'm official!

FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors.

Re: North Alabama Roost Ring Spotted on Radar

Postby FarmerHarv » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:47 pm

That's a Lot of little birds! Never heard of a roost ring before, thanks for the post!

TheSmiths
Martin Colony History: Trying to attract PMs since 2004; began a more ernest attempt in 2014. Modified Trio M12K at 15' w/3 gourds beneath; multi-rack w/8 gourds mounted at 20'.

2018 — finally have 1 ASY pair & 1 SY pair in the Trio & 1 SY pair in a supergourd on the multi-rack. :D

Postby TheSmiths » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm

We've been trying to locate the annual martin roost in far southwestern KY (Fulton County). We've been told it moves a little from year-to-year. Thus far we can only say where it isn't!

We also happened to be in Herrin, IL a couple of times so we attempted to locate a nearby roost. We followed martins to the east gate of a restricted area of Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge. I guess they prefer to keep their privacy.

Happy hunting!

MorganW_AL

Postby MorganW_AL » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 pm

I haven't been out to try to locate them in person yet. It will probably be a week or so before I can. Hopefully, if someone else is in the area they can check to see if they are indeed martins. I don't think bats or the like are roosting in that area, as they do in the eastern part of the state.

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Welcome, MorganW - I've never heard of roost rings before. Very interesting.
Billie from southern Wisonsin

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”