Tulsa Airport Roost update from 8/6/18 visit

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
zatn02
Martin Colony History: I have had martin housing for nearly 30 years but was never an active landlord until four to five years ago at this location. I live on Keystone Lake which is 25 miles west of Tulsa Oklahoma. For 2018 I will be expanding the colony to include the following: 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio M12K houses with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical gourds underneath, 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio Mini-Castles with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath, 1 Fountain Gourd rack with 4 S&K Bo 11 Plus gourds with clinger tunnels and 8 Troyer Vertical Gourds, 1 Watersedge Coates Suite 8 house, 1 rack with 3 S&K Double Gourds, 1 Trendsetter 16 house with 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath and 1 S&K Barn style house with expanded compartments. This will be a total of 79 nesting cavities offered for 2018. Hopefully this will help to increase my numbers over 2017 which were 17 active pair with 72 hatch and 71 fledge.

Tulsa Airport Roost update from 8/6/18 visit

Postby zatn02 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Update on the Tulsa airport roost: Dick Sherry and I went to the airport last night to observe the use of the Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) which has proved to be effective in controlling wildlife at other locations. These devices are capable of emitting a directed sound in the range of 130 to 150 decibels. It doesn’t injure the birds but it makes them uncomfortable and causes them to move beyond the range of the device. The man deploying the device is a wildlife management enforcer. He said that he normally is down on the tarmac using the device and if the birds start to fly towards the runway, he turns it on and it drives them away from the runway and back towards the trees around the terminal. Last night he was on top of the parking garage just to show us how it works. They are not concerned with the birds roosting in the trees. Their only concern is keeping the birds away from the runways when planes are landing and taking off. Completely understandable given the safety factor. He indicated that he can set the sound to mimic different things. Last night he had it set to mimic a distress call by a flock of crows. It definitely worked. Every time he turned it on the birds would take flight out of the trees away from the device. We did hear, for the first time this season, the shooting of the screamers and bangers out on the tarmac. There weren't a lot of them but they were shooting them when planes were landing and taking off to push the birds back. We did notice the large majority of the martins started coming in around 8:25pm and there were a large number still up high when it was almost dark. We have a roost watch scheduled for this coming Saturday evening the 11th of August. The best place to view the martins is on the top level of the parking garage in the far NE corner. Last night the majority of the birds started coming in around 8:15 - 8:30pm. There is a small parking fee of $2.00 an hour. Hope to see everyone out there.

Thanks.
Anita Harp

BillieJR

Re: Tulsa Airport Roost update from 8/6/18 visit

Postby BillieJR » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 pm

How interesting! I'm glad they found a way to keep the birds safe.
Billie from southern Wisonsin

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”