Diving Purple martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Fuzzmeister

Diving Purple martins

Postby Fuzzmeister » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi every one I know this has been talked about before but I have a problem! I decided to put a pm house up last fall right on the corner of my garden next to my house last fall, so I could watch them from my deck, things were fine until this last week when I had every male pm attacking me when I walk out into the garden, let me tell you they scare the living hell out of you! they come out of no where and squawk as they fly by. I understand that they now have chicks and are being protective but I have to do something different for next year because I have to do work in my garden! I guess it’s a matter of do I want to eat or watch purple martins they think they own the property.

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Re: Diving Purple martins

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Mine do the same thing every year, especially now that fledging has begun. They dive when anyone is within sight. I have never been scared of them. Be brave, they won't kill you. Wear a wide brimmed hat and tend the garden. They will soon be gone and you will miss them.

Ed

Fuzzmeister

Postby Fuzzmeister » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Ed
I know they won’t kill me but they might send me to the Emergency ward for cardiac arrest!! I’m not kidding the hair on my back stands up at a 90 degree angle and sends shivers through my whole body, I don’t think I could ever get used to that.

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Raise rabbits and you can use their manure in your garden. The Martin's could dive on you from wherever you place the housing and then what would you do😁.

Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Postby Hanover Bill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:06 am

I haven't had any trouble with that in the past. Most of mine just keep an eye on me from perches or fly off for a minute or two. This year I do have one aggressive ASY male that gives me the business any time he gets a chance. I've actually been surprised by his aggressiveness, and on more than one occasion have questioned why he isn't that aggressive when a HOSP comes around. LOL.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Fuzzmeister

Postby Fuzzmeister » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 am

I have 12 pairs in my house and there are at least 3 males that dive and won’t quit till you leave the yard!

phldave

Postby phldave » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am

I would just about give anything to be in your shoes. Enjoy and be glad you have them.

Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week

Doug Martin - PA

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Yep I got a bomber too at my place. He likes to get everyone else thinking they have to as well.

My poor dog gets bombed doing her business out in the yard right now because it is fledging time. She just ignores them. Speaking of rabbits Ed, mine were dive bombing one out by my garden. It was funny as the bunny would hop each time they squawked him. HaHa

I try to ignore the behavior and I wear straw hat doing nest changes.. Oh well it only lasts a few weeks. They have never hit me yet!!!

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

Fuzzmeister

Postby Fuzzmeister » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 pm

I haven’t been hit by any either! But when you don’t see them coming and they squawk as there flying by you can feel the air move around your ears, and when you do see them coming they look like miniature fighter jets! But beside all this it has bee very interesting watching and haveing them around.

Susquatch

Postby Susquatch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am

Fuzzmeister wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm
.... I have a problem! I decided to put a pm house up last fall right on the corner of my garden next to my house last fall, so I could watch them from my deck, things were fine until this last week when I had every male pm attacking me when I walk out into the garden.......

My advice is different from the replies you have had already. Martins can be very protective, but.... they can also be very friendly! You just have to get them used to you! That means braving the attacks and becoming a frequent visitor. Park a lawn chair near the nest pole. Eat supper outside near the nest pole. Tend your garden near the nest pole. Cut grass near the nest pole. Chase varmints away. etc. etc. etc. Spend as much time around the martins as you can.

They will soon get used to you being there and they will ignore you. If you protect them from hosps & squirrels, they might even come to welcome you! Mine certainly do!

In other words, as others have said - celebrate the attacks, but go beyond that and embrace them! You will soon win them over!

PS - Mine even remember me when they return the following year and then they teach new arrivals to trust me too!

PS2 - The same applies to Tree Swallows. Mine will perch on the back of my lawn chair while I am sitting in it! I'm guessing that if my chair were 10ft up in the air, the martins would too....

Enjoy!
The best way to repay a favour is to pass it on.

KyleJKP
Martin Colony History: 2018 - 45 pair; 171 fledged
2017 - 18 pair; 77 fledged
2016 - 1 pair; 3 fledged

Postby KyleJKP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Fuzzmeister wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm
Hi every one I know this has been talked about before but I have a problem! I decided to put a pm house up last fall right on the corner of my garden next to my house last fall, so I could watch them from my deck, things were fine until this last week when I had every male pm attacking me when I walk out into the garden, let me tell you they scare the living hell out of you! they come out of no where and squawk as they fly by. I understand that they now have chicks and are being protective but I have to do something different for next year because I have to do work in my garden! I guess it’s a matter of do I want to eat or watch purple martins they think they own the property.
They absolutely wear my cat out when he goes outside

DelmaWhisenhunt

Postby DelmaWhisenhunt » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 pm

One of the shows I enjoyed most was to watch the martins dive at squirrels if they crossed the yard near martin houses. Of course the squirrels most times just stopped and threw their tail over their back and try to get to a tree. The martins would soar closely over head if I went near, but I never thought about being scared of them. I think they really like their people friends!
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”