LoriBollman

Baby won't go back to nest!

Postby LoriBollman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi,
I have just jointed this Purple Martin site because I need help with a baby
I am hand raising!
This little one is eating crickets like crazy. I have had her for three
weeks now. Every night I go out and fly her and she does very well. She
can actually fly quite well. Her parents will come and chase her to get her to keep
flying but then she goes to the nearest roof and lands. We do not have
telescoping poles yet so we tried to get her to go back to the nest by
placing her on a very long pole that actually rested on the porch of the house. Well she wouldn't jump off the pole and
into the house. I truly want this bird to go back into the flock and am
not sure what else to do!
When you hand feed your jumpers, how do you get them to go back? Did they
all leave or did you have a new friend until the following year?
Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Sincerely,
Lori Bollman

Spiderman

Re: Baby won't go back to nest!

Postby Spiderman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Borrow an A frame ladder and put the Fledgling back in the nest. If you have multiple nests with babies, it may be a trial & error deal. At that size it will probably jump back out if it doesn't recognize the other siblings,

How did you end up feeding the baby for 3 weeks? No judgement, just curious,

She will actually fledge at 26 days and leave with her siblings and parents.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

-=DKC=-

Postby -=DKC=- » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Hello Lori. What you're describing sounds like normal fledgling behavior to me. In fact, my first fledgling of the year did the exact same thing as yours and sat on the neighbor's roof. The parents would fly over him and he would fly a short distance to various perches in trees or houses. He did return to the gourd at sunset to sleep but that's not the norm in my experience.

Most of my fledglings last year did not ever return to their nest after they fledged. Only a small percentage of my fledglings slept in the gourds that they were born in. Most of the time the fledglings will fly a short distance away from the colony to spend the day. Mom and dad will watch over them and feed them there. And they may roost in trees or power lines etc. instead of sleeping in the nest.

You could try what Spiderman suggests and put him back in his compartment but he will almost certainly jump right out if he's already 26+ days old and flying well.

LoriBollman

Postby LoriBollman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Well, in my defense, I have raised cockatiels so I love birds and when this little one was brought to me, I did research on what to do with her. There aren't many places that explain what to do with a baby purple martin! I searched constantly. So I took her inside and began feeding her bird formula. She did well on that but then I saw to give her crickets and I began doing that. She lives inside with us to keep her safe at night and during the day I put her outside. I probably did all of this wrong and now I will have a PM that thinks I am mom! I don't want that! I want her to be with her "people" ! Should I get a gourd and put her inside of it and hope she learns how to catch bugs? After (correction here) two weeks of hand feeding her, I don't want to just leave her to die of starvation. So if we put her in the house and she jumps out then what? Will she ever get that instinct again to join her flock?

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:11 am

If you feel like the parents have left the area. I would contact a bird rehabbed in your area and see if they have ever raised/released Martins into the wild. Then follow the advise they give you.

If the parents are still there, they should help the fledgling develop the skills to make it. Main thing is wing strength. They fly almost constantly during the day.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

-=DKC=-

Postby -=DKC=- » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm

I think Spiderman is right. If the parents are attending to your bird when she's outside then they will teach her to be a bird and should feed her as well. I would not expect her to go inside a gourd if she's already flying around since sleeping inside is not necessarily normal for fledglings. Almost all of my fledglings slept outside in trees or power lines after they fledged.

LoriBollman

Postby LoriBollman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 am

Good news! She flew away today!!! She left for awhile last night but came back. This morning she took off, landed on the roof but later flew away! I am hoping she will be safe and well fed! What else can I do? She can't text me!! Thanks for all of your advice!
Lori

-=DKC=-

Postby -=DKC=- » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 pm

LoriBollman wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 am
Good news! She flew away today!!! She left for awhile last night but came back. This morning she took off, landed on the roof but later flew away! I am hoping she will be safe and well fed! What else can I do? She can't text me!! Thanks for all of your advice!
Lori
Glad to hear it! She'll get the hang of it. You done good, bird mama.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”