What luck

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Rodavenport

What luck

Postby Rodavenport » Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 am

I recently decided to become a PM landlord. My father in law had done it for a number of years and he was passionate about it.
I purchased a complete setup with 6 Troyer vertical gourds.
I expected based off of other posts and research that I most likely wouldn't have a nesting pair this year as it is getting late for the latitude I reside in. I20 corridor in Texas.
I installed the setup on Saturday the 12th and put some pine shavings in for a nest starter.
The very next day I walk out of the house by my shop and I noticed that there was an adult female sitting on one of the porches. About 2 hours later I saw an adult male and the female hanging around the nests. Needless to say I was pretty excited as I expected no activity as of yet. I hadn't even started playing the morning song cd.
I had to travel out of town later that afternoon. When I arrived back 3 days later I saw 2 adult males, 1 adult female and some sub adults. I'm still struggling with identifying male/female sub adults. The female has apparently claimed one of the nests as she was spending a great deal of time in my #2 nest and one of the males was parked on the porch. In less than a week I see a minimum of 7 birds hanging around the housing. I haven't done a nest check yet. I was planning on doing a nest check on Sunday and I have high hopes of seeing nesting activity in at least one nest.

I guess my question is why would I see PM's so quickly when there are no nests in the area that I'm aware of.
Is this happening because there is a shortage of housing in the area for PM's.
Should I consider putting up more housing right away for this reason?

Thanks for answers and advice up front
Bobby

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a scoped Benjamin .177 pellet rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Congratulations

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

You are in the middle of SY migration at your latitude.
Obviously you have a good setup and location since you have so quickly established a colony. You can expect to be full within 2 weeks.
Whether you add more gourds is up to you. Good landlords with good setup and location is greatly appreciated.
My sister's 32 gourd colony in Seguin, TX is full. She sees SY martins vying for space but getting run off by ASY martins who occupied her colony early this season.
Welcome to purple martin landlording!
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Spiderman

Re: What luck

Postby Spiderman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 am

I think you are probably the lucky recipient of Martins where someone moved and took their housing with them or it became unusable for the Martins.

Most of the ASY's should have established nests and be in the egg laying process where you are.

You may want to consider venting the gourds where you are if you haven't. If not this year, maybe for next year. You should see a number of 100 degree + days there. I have the Troyer horizontals and am waiting to see how they work out in the Texas Heat.

Good Luck with Your Martin Season.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

BillieJR

Re: What luck

Postby BillieJR » Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 am

Welcome to the group, Bobby! And oh man - congratulations!! You are living what we all dream of but rarely get to experience. Purple martins on day 2 of putting your accommodations up! Good luck - keep us updated on how it's going!
Billie from southern Wisonsin

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”