Help

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MKaye

Please help my Martin sy pair are not back after a strong storm with wind and heavy rain.
I only have the one pair and 5 babies that are 18 or 19 days old. The storm started about 3 1/2 hours ago and let up over an hour ago. Raining again not hard and no wind. I checked and the babies are fine. It has cleared enough at times for them to be back. What should I do if they don’t come back? The wind could have had gusts of 40 or 50.
brent

They might show. These birds have to go through a lot just to get here. Let us know if they show or not. One suggestion would be to make your wild life center aware.
MKaye

It’s probably been close to 5 hours since they were last feed.
We live on a lake and if I should need to feed them I would do it. The bait shop has crickets and meal worms. I’m just thinking ahead. I understand it’s against the law but I really don’t want them to die.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

M-

I don't think a storm will run your pair off. They should return in good time. I've seen my martins high tail it during a storm but they always came back once it was over. I think they follow the winds and fly around the back of it and come back in behind it. I can't prove it but that's what my observations have led me to believe. Sounds good any ways. I just don't think they would abandon their babies due to a storm. Their instincts are strong.

Feeding them crickets will help them if they don't return.

Others here have had experience with feeding crickets so I hope they will chime in and offer advice on how to effectively do so. I've never done it but have read a lot about it but, for accuracy sakes, I'll let experience talk rather than me repeat.

Coolwhips
MKaye

My male Martin is back the female is not. He’s been calling for her and flying around the house.
I’ve worked so hard to get them and fought the starlings and sparrows daily. It’s breaking my heart.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

I know it's tough. Hang in there. She will be back.
brent

Good to hear that he's back. I had to feed a chick this year for 5 days. I fed it crickets. Also fed meal worms, dragon flies and June beetles. It did fine and fledged with another nest of chicks. I think mom will be back. I had a female take care of 4 chicks by her self.
MKaye

I am happy to say The female finally appeared about 4:00 yesterday. They must have blown to Arkansas with the wind. There was a lot of feeding until sundown last night. Thank you for your reply’s it helped. ❤️❤️Learning something new everyday with these guy’s.
white-out

Great news! They sure can upset me at times also........like every morn I take my walk upfront to see if they made it through the night..lol
brent

Best news I heard today!! I was worried for them too. Thanks for the update. You're a caring landlord.
Diane Porter

I'm so relieved that your birds found their way back. It really makes you wonder what must have happened to them and where they got to in that storm.
Diane Porter
Fairfield, Iowa
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

so glad to hear your pair made it back MKaye!! This happened to me this year, I understand what
you and your chicks have been thru. 8)