Too Late?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
stevenarenson

This is my fourth year trying to attract a colony. I live in northern Illinois. Is it too late to expect any success for this year, and should I take the house down?
Rafke77
Martin Colony History: Year 1: 10 pair, 24 fledged, 15 eggs non-viable

I wouldn't. I live in Northern Indiana and if I remember correctly, I can verify it when I get home. But I remember new pairs coming to the beginning part of June.
2019 first time with Martin's, first arrived 4/24 10 pair, 24 fledged, 15 eggs non-viable
2020 first arrived 3/27
deancamp

You still have time and even if you don't attract any to nest, leave your housing up until fall. New fledglings might see your housing and zone in on it to come back to next year.
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Leave everything up. A friend near me began his colony in the later half of June several years ago. Both birds were ASY martins. They could have come from a predator attacked colony or had their colony hit by a storm. Who knows? Keep trying to attract martins. Someone else's misfortune may be your success. If you are unsuccessful this year, you are advertising your to site for next year.

If you have any of the attraction recordings, keep playing them. If you don't have them, I suggest obtaining them.

By the way, it took me over 20 years to get my first pair. More recent advances has shortened that time frame for appropriate sites.Be patient.

Ed
stevenarenson

Ed Svetich-WI wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Leave everything up. A friend near me began his colony in the later half of June several years ago. Both birds were ASY martins. They could have come from a predator attacked colony or had their colony hit by a storm. Who knows? Keep trying to attract martins. Someone else's misfortune may be your success. If you are unsuccessful this year, you are advertising your to site for next year.

If you have any of the attraction recordings, keep playing them. If you don't have them, I suggest obtaining them.

By the way, it took me over 20 years to get my first pair. More recent advances has shortened that time frame for appropriate sites.Be patient.

Ed
Thanks,Ed. I appreciate the encouragement. I do have a box that plays a morning song starting at sunrise and for about four hours. I also have two decoys on the house. Martins circle overhead but I never get any takers. I’m location challenged with trees, so I have the pole attached to the second floor of my house where it rises about ten feet above a third floor window. It’s the best I can do.
Steven Arenson
sjaglencoe@gmail.com
stevenarenson

deancamp wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:42 pm
You still have time and even if you don't attract any to nest, leave your housing up until fall. New fledglings might see your housing and zone in on it to come back to next year.

I appreciate the encouragement. I do have a box that plays a morning song starting at sunrise and for about four hours. I also have two decoys on the house. Martins circle overhead but I never get any takers. I’m location challenged with trees, so I have the pole attached to the second floor of my house where it rises about ten feet above a third floor window. It’s the best I can do
Steven Arenson
sjaglencoe@gmail.com
Rafke77

June 8th was the last pair we had last year, however, and this might have possibly been a pair laying a second clutch, but June 25th another pair arrived and laid 5 eggs, all hatched.
Last edited by Rafke77 on Sun May 24, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 first time with Martin's, first arrived 4/24 10 pair, 24 fledged, 15 eggs non-viable
2020 first arrived 3/27
stevenarenson

Rafke77 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:24 pm
I wouldn't. I live in Northern Indiana and if I remember correctly, I can verify it when I get home. But I remember new pairs coming to the beginning part of June.

I appreciate the encouragement. I do have a box that plays a morning song starting at sunrise and for about four hours. I also have two decoys on the house. Martins circle overhead but I never get any takers. I’m location challenged with trees, so I have the pole attached to the second floor of my house where it rises about ten feet above a third floor window. It’s the best I can do
Steven Arenson
sjaglencoe@gmail.com
Rafke77

stevenarenson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm
I gotta be honest, last year my first one came later in the afternoon when I was playing the morning song lol. And the morning song I found was just one on YouTube that I looped on a Bluetooth speaker I hung on the gourd rack. I live about 5 miles from Central time zone, obviously Martin's don't go by time though, they go by light. This time in the evening by me the soon is still way up and there is still light in the sky at 1030pm. But the Martin's are very active right now flying around the gourds, so it's possible you could even get some in the evening.
2020 first arrived 3/27
deancamp

Steven, I would be playing the dawn song starting an hour before daylight until dark at night. The dawnsong will attract them anytime of the day.
flyin-lowe

I have an established colony and just started seeing SYs show up, my first one was last weekend I believe. I think the cold snap we had week before last likely stalled the migration. While the season started early this year for a lot of us I think the later than normal cold weather might slow things down some for SY's.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.