It's A Start

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

For the first time in four v-e-r-y long years, I had a scout land on my martin housing this morning at 11:05. It was an ASY female. She flew off and returned several times. Unfortunately, I don't think she will stay. My neighbor has a martin/sparrow colony and as of this morning did not have her housing up. I think this is one of her returning martins that checked out my housing since her normal nesting site was not up.

It is encouraging though and I remain optimistic I will be able to once again have a martin colony.

Tim

Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
Matt F.

Holy Safe Havens Tim - that is great news!
stan davison

Tim, that is a great set up. You will get martins. If you are interested in banding the baby martins let me know. I never check my mail, and found the email. I travel frequently but you are welcome even if I am gone, the martins here would be in good hands.
Matt F.

Tim,
What kind of housing is your neighbor using?
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Well soon her's will fail completely and you'll thrive once again.. :)
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
Steve Kroenke

Hey Tim,

Thanks for sharing that news with us! If you neighbor does not put up her martin housing or continues to allow house sparrows to nest, then your chances to attracting her martins will be excellent. Just the fact that you have a nearby martin colony is encouraging news because you KNOW there are martins in the area.

It looks like your location is relatively open. Can martins fly level to and from your housing from several directions?

I believe I see sparrow traps on the housing! Are sparrows a big problem in your area? Are you catching many?

Do you know how many martin pairs your neighbor generally attracts each season?

I believe you have a good chance of starting a martin colony.

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season
Tim Mangan-Kansas

Matt:

She has two round houses, either heath or Trio. They are 6"x6" cavities. Her poles are mounted right beside their chain link fence and in the middle of tall bushes. I talked to her last fall about moving the poles, but she decided not to do it.

Hey Steve:
I have a fairly good fly zone. NO TREES, which was my problem in Hot Springs. Have a lot of sparrows and starlings. Yes, those are sparrow traps on top of my houses. I trapped six sparrows couple weeks ago. Starlings have tried to get in my SREH entrances but none have been successful so far. I think she had around 8-10 pairs of martins last year and she said her martins did fledge their young. When we moved into our house, her martins had already left. Time will tell. It is just nice to be able to see martins again.

Tim
Licensed Bander
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

That's great news for you! Maybe not for her. Oh well. There was a house in Pratt...a Trio and two quad pods I think...just like that too. Tall bushes grew up around the poles reaching the quads. I'm sure years ago someone thought how quaint, bushes with birdhouses.

I kinda knew the owner and offered to purchase the setup. She said she'd have to talk to her husband. Never heard back. I should have persisted. They seemed to have 2 or 3 pairs amongst sparrows.

The house sold last fall and now the housing and bushes are gone. I haven't gone up and knock, knock, knock...did you throw that away? There are other unmanaged houses in town closer than I am. I'm about nine driven miles out. Who knows maybe one of mine will pick up a hot homeless chick and whisper in her ear about our place. :)

I hope the Land of Kansas brings 'em home to you!

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

great news Tim.. My guess is you have nest building going on by April 15th. My hunch is the martins will consider your house and hers "one colony" and adopt your housing very quickly.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

That's great news Tim! If that ASYF doesn't stay at your place, I'll bet some of the "kids" will! You're set for success at your new place! :grin:
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.
Dawn~KS

Wishing you the best, Tim. I will keep my fingers crossed. I know how much you want them and they would be in the best of hands. :grin:
John Barrow

Great news Tim, especially so early in the season. Migration is just kicking up a notch in South Texas. Should be plenty of time for you to fill your housing this year. We're pulling for you!!
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Tim - I can't wait to see pictures of martins moving into your housing this year! You're a great landlord and it's time you hosted them again. :wink:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Tim Mangan-Kansas

Appreciate the kind remarks. Right now I have a terrible sparrow problem. Didn't have a sparrow problem at previous colony. I cannot use a firearm here in the city but I am using three different type traps to rid the area of as many as possible. Unfortunately, I trap one and two more show up.

Eventually, I will be forced to open up my housing otherwise I will run the risk of loosing any martins who might be looking for a nesting site. I sure hate the thought of having a martin/sparrow colony.

Any suggestions from those of you who have gone through this ordeal are appreciated.

Tim
Licensed Bander
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Tim as you know this is a continual ordeal in Parsons... generally once they claim a cavity and begin nest building they are pretty easy to trap. On my trios I drop in the Spar-o-door and generally they are caught within the hour... I don't like giving them the foothold but it's about the only way to reliably trap them quickly without closing all the other openings.

PS - it could be worse for you.. last November there was a lightning strike that killed over 500 house sparrows in the Wal-Mart parking lot over there.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities