Female ASY Has Landed!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Sparky

The scouts have been circling for about 2 weeks now, but I didn't observe them landing. Tonight at 6PM, a lone adult female picked a particular Troyer Horizontal with a plug in it. (Most of my housing is plugged with plugs I made from foam pipe insulation). She chose this one that was plugged and managed to push the plug in and get into the gourd. (Smart Girl) She could have chose other's but this was the one. The starlings would tug all day on the plugs and not get in. :lol:

The season has started for me.
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Congrats on the arrival! We have quite a few, tonight I tried to count them, sometimes I counted 11, sometimes 12, sometimes 9, I have no idea how many we have at out place.

I missed mine for a few days, they are coming in so late, its nearly dark, and then they hit the holes like a bullet. I am thinking that we have some hawks or owls that they see. They are worried, and there is no socializing. Ours came in about 6:20
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Sparky

Thanks Emil! You may be on to something on the predators. I noticed a few hawks last week and I have a GHO near by. I can hear him hooting out on the power lines over near the fields. Of course I've heard one every season. The martins have been making big circles around the area, so that might be what they surveying is for.

Should be seeing more hopefully by tomorrow and the weekend. Have to get the housing down and get the plugs out.
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
klcretired

congrat's Sparky on your first arrival , How Exciting.
Now i'm more anxious than ever.....just a waitin game for me for a few more days but my eyes are glued to tha Sky and my ears on high alert, lol,lol
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
Dale D

Congratulations on your first arrival.
Connie
Martin Colony History: Had my site up to 22 gourds of which most (+/-3) stayed occupied.
Downsized to 17 gourds due to back surgeries. Had 14 families in 2017 but did not do nest checks due to health. Feeling better in 2018 and hoping for a good year.

Congrats Sparky, enjoy!! KC, I am with you, can hardly stand the wait. Mine came Valentines day last year but with so many coming early I am hoping sooner for mine too!! Well, praying is probably more like it.. :)
Connie
Connie
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Congrats Sparky,, I love watching the map fill up. Still to cool here in Ohio, but love to see you guys have returning birds. Keep them warm and fed if you can. Have a great year.
Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:

PMCA Member
Sparky

Thanks guy's. Saw a few more this morning. I'll keep my eye's peeled at dusk. You'll have yours coming your way sooner than you think. I just pray no ice storms this year.
Connie - Valentines Day is the magic day around these parts. Most of them are usually back on that day.
trisha

Hey Sparky! Congrats!!!!!
Trisha

PMCA member
2019, 36 pair