Hurricane Ida...hope all you Louisiana landlords fairedwell.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
brent

Hi everyone. Still recovering from Hurricane Ida. I don't think anyone escaped damage. Hope all my neighbors are ok. I am lucky by the Grace of God. Had some roof damage but had a whole house generator and metal shutters. Both spared me. Finally have power but many further down the bayou do not. Wondering about Thomabear a frequent forum member who lives in Cut-Off, a very seriously damaged area. My martin houses withstood the 150 mph winds and gusts. The cable on one came lose from the pulley so I'll bring it down to fix it. Trees that are standing are bare with leaves being blown off. Lots of damage all around. Today I spotted two Great Horned Owls. Beautiful birds (just stay away from my martins). Just checking in. Brent
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

well, glad to hear you weathered that storm in relatively good shape; as you pointed out, many many did not. your poles did great in 150 mph winds, so did your house! Good gosh. wish you guys all the best.
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Hi all.. first chance for me to get on here since hurricane Ida tore thru Laplace, Louisiana.. Lots of severe damage here. I was blessed compared to most. Some shingle damage and all fences down but others got so much worse. Silver lining though. So many big trees blown down. My martins will have a super clear flight path to their houses and all around..I took my houses down and stored them in garage. Glad I did.. I had already done lots of upgrades to them. Hope Brent and others in se Louisiana are ok.
Rob
brent

Hi Rob and all,
Everyone in recovery stage. Same with me that trees nearby were uprooted. One in particular that was a hide out for the hawks is gone. The weather today is awesome. My martin houses withstood the high winds. I had them lowered and the posts took the wind. A cable was loose on one. My neighbor helped me to get it back on the pulley. Got to take some damaged gutters down and wait like everyone else to have things repaired. Very severe damage further down the Bayou. Hope Thomabear in Cut-Off faired well. Watching the hummingbirds as they travel through. Brent