Babies Trying to Fly

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Babies Trying to Fly

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:37 pm

My three little babies came out on the house porch about 4 days ago. One flew away three days ago with no problem. The next day one was on the ground so I lowered the house and put him back. Yesterday one flew successfully and one was hanging on the fenceline. I lowered the house and put him back in. Today the remaining baby was resisting leaving. His mom was persistant and it seemed to me that she was biting and pushing him. He tried to fly but didnt do well. He landed under the picnic table and sat there. I scooped him up, lowered the house and put him back on the porch. She returned and did the same thing..forcing him out. This time he headed for the back fence and was clinging there again but was in reach of the doggies next door. I scooped him up again and put him on the top of the house. Here comes Mom again, yelling at him, encouraging him to follow. He flew again and actually gained some height and distance. He landed in the top of some small trees. I hope he will survive. I have fallen in love with these babies...they are so pretty and so docile.
Is it normal for the mothers to force them out of the nesting area?Seems like they could have stayed in the nest for a few more days but perhaps Mom know best.

Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:43 pm

Young mothers usually try to get them to fly too soon, older mothers feed them a bit longer, but they may all quit feeding them trying to force them to fly. The last one to fly may even be a runt. This is part of growing up, they must learn to fly! Glad that you are enjoying them.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Babies trying to fly..

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I wondered if it had to do with the younger females. That makes a lot of sense. Same way with humans, huh?

Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Postby Laverne » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi Ann.

I replied to your questions at the other post from John. You can click on this link to see it...

Good luck to both of you - keep us posted...

http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369
Sincerely,
Laverne

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”