Will Troyer horizontal gourds hang from an S & K pole

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
barbiejoe

I have an S & K pole with square rods to hang gourds from. My S & K gourds are beginning to have problems. Wanting to hang some Troyer horizontal gourds from the rack. Can I attach a heavy wire to the rod, thread it through the round hanging tube and attach again to the square rod. My worry is that the gourd might swing in the wind and bother the martins. Anyone tried this? Thanks for help or advice. Barb
After 3 years, I gave up and put two gourds out, hoping to get other birds to nest. I did. Had one pair of tree swallows and ONE pair of purple martins. The PM had 4 hatchlings. One died in the nest and one was found on the ground two days running and died that night. Two flew successfully.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi barbiejo,
Instead of wire, you may want to consider troyer hoizontal gourd mounting arms sold online. They attach to some square gourd racks.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
MartinBoy14012

I'm sure you could square up the 3/8" round holes in the Troyer gourds to work with your S&K 3/8" square stock gourd arms. An easy task with a small file as it will cut plastic easy with no problem. You will only be squaring up the existing round holes.