Week of visit no staying

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
glfriend

Ok after 8 years this past Monday I had two visit my house. Male and female. Everyday they come in the morning around 8:00 and go to the circular holes inside together , I also have two gourds with crescent openings under the house on hanging rods. They peek in the gourds. For the last two days they have two more that tag along but just buzz the house. This morning they brought out a piece of the straw I had placed in there and dropped it. I have other birds swallows and bluebirds nest are over 25 feet or more away and there is no fighting over nest or territory. They usually about an hour flying in and out of the circular holes . What are they doing?

Garry in virginia
Brad Biddle

They’re just checking things out
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
SSMartin

At a new site it will be a while before they stay the night. When they start staying the night they’ll start building a nest shortly after. They tend to socialize in the morning but as the season progresses if they choose your site they’ll pick one cavity and start nesting and get down to business so to speak. Keep us updated.
deancamp

Hang in there. Like posted above they are checking it out. If they like it you will start seeing more of them and they will spend the night. That is when your odds pick up.
glfriend

Will keep u posted
glfriend

First Update

Last saw them Friday Morning May 15 . Did not see them today. :cry:
SSMartin

If you’re having colder mornings they will spend more time
Feeding and may skip their morning social at the housing. Don’t lose hope yet
glfriend

Another update

Around 9:30 AM today...a male checked out gourd and area. Looked different than the others then flew off in the direction of another colony about 1 mile away