MN/WI Landlords

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MNguy
Martin Colony History: 2014 - first year, zero activity
2015 - Nothing
2016 - SY male visited and stayed a few weeks, unable to attract a mate
2017 - SY pair arrived June 6 - 3 eggs laid, 2 hatched, 1 fledged.
2018 - ASY male, SY female - 5 eggs, 5 hatched, lost all 5 prematurely
2019 - SY male hungout for a month, no mate, several visitors
2020 - Hopeful....

Looking for some feedback on what you are seeing for numbers? How is the season going compared to previous years?

I'm in my sixth year trying, and still don't have a strong foothold. Had a SY male hanging around for a month last summer, so was hoping he would return as an ASY and attract a mate. I kind of feel like I'm stuck waiting for SY's again. Been playing the dawn song pretty much all day since early April. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to all

JP
mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B09s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 - 12 Troyer Horizontals with tunnels, 6 S&K B09s and 12 B011s all with tunnels. 43 eggs - 36 fledged
2020 - Rack 1 - 6 B011s, Rack 2 - 24 B011s, and Rack 3 - 24 Troyer Horizontals. All gourds have tunnels, porches and crescent/Conley 11 entrances; racks have predator guards. 161 eggs - 88 fledged

MNguy,
I feel for you guys up there in the North Woods. Down here in south Florida we just take Purple Martins for granted. The species funnels thru our state (and Louisiana and Texas) to and from Brazil. But, keep up the good fight. Estimates of the martin population are such that we are down one-third of the "pre-mankind" numbers. So we need all the man-made erected structures possible for assisting the remaining population.
Good luck to you, Mike
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

JP,

Keep trying. Tell us what you are offering for housing. You know what is needed as far as an open placement, etc. and we will assume that everything is fine as far as that goes. How close is the nearest active colony?I I won't tell you how long it took me to finally attract martins but with all the research that the PMCA has done, it is now much easier. The last thing that I did just before attracting my first SY pair was putting up a tray of oyster shells and the first martin that I saw was sitting on the tray. That suggestion came from an established landlord who said that calcium was the only food source that all birds sought out and recognized. It made sense so I gave it a try.

As far as this season, the first ASY birds were about on time but the remaining adults straggled in over another 10 days or so, which was late. I am now full. I had a very early SY male here in late April. He was weeks early.I got a picture of him to the PMCA as confirmation. As far as I know, the rest of the SY are still not here yet at other nearby colonies.Check out the Scout Report for SY birds.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Ed
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

In Manitoba, I have about a third of my colony home, lots more come hopefully.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
MarkinMn

Hello JP from central MN......Hang in there....I drove by a colony on the east side of St Cloud on Monday, and was surprised to see just about every porch had a pm sitting on it!!, (a t-14 and a gourd rack)......at my site, on and off, I've seen only a handful of scouts, up to 10-12 asy males at one time but only in the morning and late evening.....they seem to be struggling...temps here highs 40's-60's for the past 10 days...nights in the 30's....I've been worried sick.....tried feeding crickets with the dq spoon....just seems to scare them off...last Friday they flew off and I didn't see but just a couple the entire weekend...( tossed about 150 crickets and no takers) We fledged 64 babies last year so I have high hopes for this year for our colony....even when you have an established sight, the rollercoaster of emotions continues heh heh!! And on top of it all, my wife and I have witnessed twice a sharped shinned hawk helping itself to birds from our bird feeders...we also have this year,a generation of starlings that have been wiggling into the crescent holes that we have on all of our houses but, I believe I have the battle won (for now) tearing out the nests, disposing eggs and dispatching the adults with the Savage model b.22....so JP, if you don't want the heartache and worry that one goes thru finding dead babies, bad, or broken eggs, marauding house sparrows, predaters that fly, slither, climb, crawl, or your hands covered in hundreds of flying jumping mites, even a sinus infection from inhaling the dust produced doing all the nest changes Take down your houses and sell them,....take up fly-fishing or league bowling or collecting Coleman lanterns, and save yourself the anguish and lost sleep!! ......Me..? No way!!....there's no feeling in the world like sitting in my lawn chair around 8pm on a warm quiet August evening and start whistling the little melody I always whistle around these birds when I am tending to them....and they seem to hear me and and start circling/soaring in by the dozens, all talking to each other and swooping down to greet me...............I'll never give up on these wonderful creatures....never!
MNguy
Martin Colony History: 2014 - first year, zero activity
2015 - Nothing
2016 - SY male visited and stayed a few weeks, unable to attract a mate
2017 - SY pair arrived June 6 - 3 eggs laid, 2 hatched, 1 fledged.
2018 - ASY male, SY female - 5 eggs, 5 hatched, lost all 5 prematurely
2019 - SY male hungout for a month, no mate, several visitors
2020 - Hopeful....

MarkinMN - not planning to give up. I'm a duck hunter, so I know all about crazy hobbies. :lol:

Just trying to get a sense of where others are at. I have four gourds and a four room Watersedge house. All crescent entrances. We live on a pond with completely open flyways. Sparrows controlled with a .177 Gamo Silent Cat. 8) No starlings around. Tree swallows have their own bluebird box. I think I've got everything in place, just need a little luck.....

JP