45 degrees tonight -worried about babies!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Hey everyone,hope y’all birds are all doing fine. I’m a little concerned about the cold temperatures tonight. It’s supposed to be 45 degrees tonight and I’ve got about 8 nests with new babies. Y’all think they will be ok,that they’ll stay warm enough? I would think so , I guess I’m looking for a little reassurance from the more experienced people here that have experienced this situation before. Last season it was blistering hot all spring and this being my second year with babies I haven’t went through this sort of thing yet so what say y’all?
deancamp

David, I have no experience with anything like that. Hopefully with both parents in the nest they can keep them warm enough to survive. Let us know how it goes down.
Larry Kronemeyer

PMDavid
Hopefully they will be okay, the females should be able to keep them warm at night. The big question is how about the daytime weather and temperatures. Rain and cold will make it difficult for the females to feed themselves and their young, rain being the biggest threat. The more time spent away from the nest looking for food is the danger. The female must make the decision to feed herself or sit with her young. Most will try and look for food, leaving the young protected. They could die from exposure or starve. If the female stays and doesn't feed herself, they all perish.
Here in the Midwest we call it blackberry winter. Always strikes around the second week of May. We've lost entire clutches to it. But it is usually a combination of rain and cold that does them in. Supplemental feeding can make the difference. If the parents don't have to forage far the young have a chance.
Cold for a couple of nights shouldn't bother them as long as the days are clear and warm.
Good luck
Larry
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA