Live Dawn Song

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
deancamp

The dawn song started this morning at my colony at 5:00 on the nut. Sunrise here is at 6:17 central time. I obviously couldn't see him but he was flying above, sometimes directly overhead, sometimes further away. At one point he was mixing in chortles with a choppy dawn song.There were others in the gourds making their normal chortling sounds. As a reference my birds have been back for about 5 weeks and are in heavy nest building stage. Pretty cool!
deancamp

Update, at 6:00 i can see multiple Martins flying overhead singing the dawn song. Even more cool!!
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

I've never heard it live. When I got my first pair I would get up to try to hear my ASY male singing but never did. I think now that I have about 10 pairs or more, I might be able to go out and finally hear it. I'll try it in the morning.

Not sure if you're more likely to hear it with a larger colony rather than just one pair or if it really matters.

Coolwhips
deancamp

Yeah, I don't know the details either. When I heard the first one I was wondering if only one from the colony sang it, but then I could hear at least another two joined in. They were flying overhead, just like they do when feeding. Sometimes they would be close together and sometimes more spread out.