Brand new member and had a martin today.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Steve VB

Hello, I am a brand new member. My wife and I put up our first home a week ago... Bloomington, Indiana. Today, we had a martin! We are super excited but wondering if there is anything else we can do to encourage it to stay? It spent a couple of hours cruising the pond water and dodging around our two labs. It spent some quality time perched at the new home as well. Seemed to enjoy that. I turned on a CD of martin songs and that seemed to really get it excited although maybe a little confused to. I have not spent time reading the forum but plan to. Thanks for any advise.
Brad Biddle

"Dodging around our two labs"

You sure it isn't a Tree Swallow?

Purple Martins don't usually swoop down at lab level. It's almost never seen until they have eggs or nestlings then they'll even dive bomb the landlord on occasion.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Steve VB

Brad Biddle wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:17 pm
"Dodging around our two labs"

You sure it isn't a Tree Swallow?

Purple Martins don't usually swoop down at lab level. It's almost never seen until they have eggs or nestlings then they'll even dive bomb the landlord on occasion.
Well, I am new to this. It definitely is not a bird I have seen here before and it is a dark purplish color. Larger bird (smaller than a starling but not much). I am sure that it is a swallow by its look. It looks like the pictures and videos I have watched. I could be wrong though.
Brad Biddle

Solid purple, no white belly?
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Steve VB

Brad Biddle wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:43 pm
I did not see white on it. The color looked much like the purple on this web page. I would say darker though. I will take some time and look more closely if it is back tomorrow. Are we able to share pics on this forum? If so, I will try to get one.
deancamp

If you listen to Purple Martins on YouTube, they have a very distinct sound. I think you would recognize it. I assume the bird you seen was making some kind of chatter? If it is a Purple Martin that is very exciting.
Steve VB

deancamp wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:00 pm
If you listen to Purple Martins on YouTube, they have a very distinct sound. I think you would recognize it. I assume the bird you seen was making some kind of chatter? If it is a Purple Martin that is very exciting.
Thanks for the insight and dialogue. Will hope to know for sure soon.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the world of purple martins. This website has a ton of great material to study. The more informed you are with purple martins the better for you and the martins that are at your location. You are welcome to visit my website as well; we are almost neighbors here in Iowa.
We are at www.iamartin.org
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Brad Biddle

Steve VB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:48 pm
Brad Biddle wrote:
I did not see white on it. The color looked much like the purple on this web page. I would say darker though. I will take some time and look more closely if it is back tomorrow. Are we able to share pics on this forum? If so, I will try to get one.
That sounds promising. Sorry for the quizzing but I didn't want you to have a TRES nesting in your PM house and keep you from getting Martins.

Yes you can post pictures here, but you have to resize them to make them small. I upload mine to a photo hosting site and that makes it very simple. I use www.postimage.com
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

... SteveVB ... Welcome to the Forum ... Great to have you here with us... Enjoy the Forum.. ask any questions,, lots of people here to help.. Wishing you good luck this season...

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, ... :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies. So far... :wink:

PMCA Member
flyin-lowe

Welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Many people (my self included) initially mistake tree swallows for martins the firs time. If you didn't see any white then it wasn't a tree swallow. They have a snow white breast that you will see. I always tell people the best thing to do is watch or listen to videos from youtube of a martin colony. The first time you hear them you will be able to identify their vocalizations from any other birds. Hopefully he sticks around. if it is indeed an adult male martin and he chooses your place he will likely start your colony. Even if he doesn't find an adult female the SY martins that hatched last year will be in Indiana soon and they will latch on to him for sure. Do you happen to know of any martin colonies in your area? Indiana has a good martin population and while it can take time to get started your numbers can grow very quickly from one year to the next.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Steve VB

Dave Duit wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:31 pm
Hi Steve,
Welcome to the world of purple martins. This website has a ton of great material to study. The more informed you are with purple martins the better for you and the martins that are at your location. You are welcome to visit my website as well; we are almost neighbors here in Iowa.
We are at www.iamartin.org
Hi Dave, Thank you! I will visit your site. They are martins. Three of them - looks like 2 females and a male have been in and out of the home for about the past week. We are estatic!
Steve VB

Brad Biddle wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:25 am
Steve VB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:48 pm
Brad Biddle wrote:
That sounds promising. Sorry for the quizzing but I didn't want you to have a TRES nesting in your PM house and keep you from getting Martins.

Yes you can post pictures here, but you have to resize them to make them small. I upload mine to a photo hosting site and that makes it very simple. I use www.postimage.com
Hi Brad, I will post some pictures. They did end up being Martins. About a week later, a couple of others have joined in. We typically have three on the home. They seem to spend the night but I have not noticed any bedding yet. I pull the home down every few days to eliminate a couple of sparrows that are extremely persistent. Thoughts on the lack of bedding? Is that typical?
Steve VB

Dave Reynolds wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 am
... SteveVB ... Welcome to the Forum ... Great to have you here with us... Enjoy the Forum.. ask any questions,, lots of people here to help.. Wishing you good luck this season...

Dave
Thank you Dave!
Steve VB

flyin-lowe wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:44 pm
Welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Many people (my self included) initially mistake tree swallows for martins the firs time. If you didn't see any white then it wasn't a tree swallow. They have a snow white breast that you will see. I always tell people the best thing to do is watch or listen to videos from youtube of a martin colony. The first time you hear them you will be able to identify their vocalizations from any other birds. Hopefully he sticks around. if it is indeed an adult male martin and he chooses your place he will likely start your colony. Even if he doesn't find an adult female the SY martins that hatched last year will be in Indiana soon and they will latch on to him for sure. Do you happen to know of any martin colonies in your area? Indiana has a good martin population and while it can take time to get started your numbers can grow very quickly from one year to the next.
Thank you. After about two weeks of having the male, we have had two others join. They appear to have the white breasts. They vocalize continually. We have a martin colony about a mile away. I need to figure out how to include pics and then I am sure you all could let me know. From what I see on youtube, these are Martins. They also respond greatly when I play the morning vocalization from youtube.
Thank you,
Steve
deancamp

Steve, congratulations that's great for your first year. The Martin nest building does not start right away after their return. You will see them carrying nesting materials to the house when they start building. Some people, including me add pine needles to give them a head start and a little warmth for those cold nights early season. I also believe it makes the house look lived in and will help attract birds to start a new colony.
Steve VB

deancamp wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:07 pm
Steve, congratulations that's great for your first year. The Martin nest building does not start right away after their return. You will see them carrying nesting materials to the house when they start building. Some people, including me add pine needles to give them a head start and a little warmth for those cold nights early season. I also believe it makes the house look lived in and will help attract birds to start a new colony.
Dean, we added the pine needles last evening and they seem to enjoy that. Thanks for the advise.
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

i know the feeling of your 1st pair Steve, just this year I got mine and
you will get a little crazy about those Martins. Its fun. 8)
Steve VB

Kegger wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:18 am
i know the feeling of your 1st pair Steve, just this year I got mine and
you will get a little crazy about those Martins. Its fun. 8)
So true!