Starling elimination special forces unit!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
rtulenko

Spiderman wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 am
Once again I will recommend the Van Ert trap. Between trapping and shooting I have determined trapping to be the most effective way to get rid of Starlings. The Van Ert trap looks like a slightly oversized Blue Bird house with a larger hole.

Just add a ground stake and another pole. Place the trap the same height as your Martin housing and within 10'of your Martin housing. It's a live trap so you can release any birds you aren't targeting. It will eliminate all Starlings and Sparrows. Early in the season I would catch 3 in a morning. If your going to be away from home a few days just leave it closed until you are ready to resume. I usually put it up January 1st and eliminate the majority of Starlings before the Martins even arrive.

When the trap is closed, lower it and cover the trap with a white kitchen size garbage bag that you can slightly see through. Seal the bag around the pipe with one hand while slowly opening the trap door with the other hand. When you open the trap grasp the bird from the outside of the bag to secure it.

This year I have only caught 13 Starlings, last year I caught 27. But you are eliminating a problem for all the cavity nesting birds in your area, mainly Flickers and woodpeckers. In other words when the Martins are gone you will have other native birds to enjoy.
Can you put this trap on the same pole and under the trio house?
Spiderman

You could give it a try. They sent brackets to mount it that way. The Martins really aren't attracted to it, I have only caught one Martin in 10 years. But if you did catch one (once you verify what it is) just release it.

If you have very many Starlings you would be raising and lowering your pole often.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
rtulenko

Spiderman wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 am
You could give it a try. They sent brackets to mount it that way. The Martins really aren't attracted to it, I have only caught one Martin in 10 years. But if you did catch one (once you verify what it is) just release it.

If you have very many Starlings you would be raising and lowering your pole often.
Thanks.

I ordered the trap.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Man talk a bout a really slick starling!!! Yesterday evening close to dark there were six or seven martins circling the yard and another bird fell in formation and began to circle with em . At first I didn’t pay to close attention but I noticed more than usual wing beats and looked closer.....would you believe a frickin starling was circling and gliding like the martins right in amongst em all like he was a Martin!!!! Ever seen such? He circled and glided like one of the guys,I just sat there froze and waited.....I was calculating! And lo and behold ,he screwed up and did exactly what I thought he might. When several of the martins ducked in their respective gourds he went straight to the same one I’ve already caught several in and dove right in it,stupid! I jumped up got the pole stuck it in the hole ,up the ladder,and captured him AND SNAPPED HIS NECK!! He thought he was slick but just didn’t realize who he was dealing with. He’s no longer with us.
deancamp

Ha ha , that's the penalty for entering the NO FLY zone.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

That’s right dean,no fly no mo! That’s the same really deep woodpecker gourd I caught all the others in. They don’t mess with any others except that one. The martins won’t go in it for some reason,it may be TOO deep for their liking idk. Check the post about fledglings and pass your thoughts for me,thanks.
rtulenko

rtulenko wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:51 am
Spiderman wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 am

Thanks.

I ordered the trap.
Received the trap. Cobbled up a mount on a shepherds hook, Trapped 2 starlings the next day.
Thanks for the advice.