Return of the acquired Trio ASY Male

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

Seems that the Trio ASY Male has returned today. I first saw him in my airspace this morning and when I got home at noon he was sitting on my gourd rack. He flew from the gourds to the Trio. He then flew from the Trio and returned seconds later and, from altitude, he dove straight into the area where the Trio used to be. He then fluttered around and landed at his compartment on the Trio in its new location . He looked very puzzled. He dove in to the vacant spot many times but made his way to the new location. I hope he adjusts. I left the trio in the same orientation as it was in the last location and left the entrance the same even though I changed the others to crescents. He walked around on the porch of the Trio checking things out. He acts like he woke up from a night of drinking and is trying to figure out how he parked his car where he did. :lol:

I won't be able to watch him come home tonight since I leave for the evening and return after dark. But I should be able to see him in the morning if he stays around.

Edited to add: I have two ASY Martins now. One at the trio and one at the gourds.

Coolwhips
Attachments
Gourds ASY Male 3-2.jpg
Gourds ASY Male 3-2.jpg (166.49 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

The Trio ASY Male
Attachments
Trio ASY Male.jpg
Trio ASY Male.jpg (160.6 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

He’ll get it whippey just might take him a second.
T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Very nice Whip!
deancamp

That's great, I've been wondering how that would go down. ITake hime some coffee in the morning to help him sober up. :)
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

So the first arrival has figured it out. Within the last hour or so the other Trio ASY Male returned. There has always been only two rooms open and these two guys would fight to the end for them every year. The others who lost that battle, I assume, came to the gourds and started my colony there.

Anyway, ASY male #1 is now teaching ASY male #2 where to go. #2 is always dropping into the old location and or sitting on the roof top or the chimney he used all these years as a perch. They will fly off and circle real high in the sky then work their way back and dive into the area. I figured #2 will soon figure out just as #1 did. They should be coming in for the night in a couple of hours so hopefully I will get to see them all in the morning.

Fun to watch. Now waiting for the remainder of the gourd residents and hopefully pick up a few more.

Coolwhips
deancamp

It amazes me that the pin point location is so ingrained that they will go to that spot with nothing there as to seeing the house nearby and going to it. Keep us updated on the progress, they should be happy they have more rooms to attract friends.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

That’s great whippy,now they will probably get out and find some others and fill your house! Good luck moving forward and I’ll be watching for further post about filling your new house.
Fuzzmeister

Whippy
Congrats on the start of your season! It must feel good! I will have to wait at least another month and a half to start watching the sky’s for flying martins.
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

Thanks, guys. I'm starting to realize the excitement and sense of accomplishment of having an established colony return and grow. I hope it continues. I'll post photos as the Trio fills up. I have a great vantage point as I can look down on it from a 2nd floor window. The picture above is from the window of my stairwell which puts me almost eye level with them about 20 feet away.

Earlier today I said this: "I first saw him in my airspace this morning and when I got home at noon he was sitting on my gourd rack. He flew from the gourds to the Trio." However, after about 30 minutes of observation I realized I was seeing two Martins. The one from the gourd flies under the Trio when he departs his gourd. I thought he flew from the gourds to the Trio. Rather, he was flying under the Trio Male that was sitting on the porch. I can't see both the house and the gourd rack at the same time from inside the house so I went from one window to the other.

I hope I get to report more as the days pass.

Coolwhips.
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

Today I have 3 ASY males and one ASY female. They are working to win her favor and she is popping in and out of the Trio compartments and visiting all of the gourds. I'm not sure she was from last year but I did see her diving into the spot of the old location like the males did yesterday. Not sure if they were taking her in there of if she knew to go in there. She was hovering looking for a place to land where the Trio used to be.
Attachments
Trio Pair 3-3-20.jpg
Trio Pair 3-3-20.jpg (130.96 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

Now down to two ASY males. One in the gourd rack and one in the Trio. They have entertained females this morning but no obvious takers. Still early for them here as I didn’t get a return until the 22nd of March last year.

Waiting on 3 ASY males to return from last year and not sure of the ASY male from the Trio last year. I really thought he was back but I haven’t seen him since day 1 when I thought he did return.

I’ll be able to watch them come in for the night on Friday.

Funny game this Martin landlording is.

Coolwhips.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Man thats great, poor guy. Hes very sure it will appear if he keeps trying! Glad you are getting some action whippy, im sure the females will return. Ours played hard to get, visit in the morning and take off, show up in the afternnon but it was days before they decided to stay. Sounds like you have a great vantage point! Enjoy!!
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.