New Arrivals 2020

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dwj3006@gmail.com

New Arrivals 2020

Postby dwj3006@gmail.com » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:45 am

I have been a landlord for 5 years now my first year a just put up a 12 hole house and they came. They continued to return every year and never really had time to study about there arrivals and departures. I have installed more houses in my garden as well as my neighbors yards this year and have been watching the purple martin scout arrival map. I have posted my first scout arrival sighting on 02-22-2020 when I seen 1st PM of this year flying over house, the next day I saw PM sitting on PM house but I have holes blocked from sparrows and starlings. When is right time to remove plugged holes for martins, and is the PM that landed on house is it just passing through? Trying to figure out do PMs go straight to the house they were the previous year or just having a layover on their way north. Anybody have info or good links I can read about this would greatly appreciate...thanks!

Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: New Arrivals 2020

Postby Whippy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:52 am

Once a pair has a successful brood at a location they will return to it every year after unless something terrible happens. If you see a Martin sitting on the house go ahead and open a few cavities specially the ones you know were occupied last year as he may be looking to get into his from last year.

There is a wealth of information on this forum and many who are more than eager to lend a hand. Ask any and all questions you have and they will be answered.

Good luck to you. Glad you have one back already. Still looking for mine.

Coolwhips

dwj3006@gmail.com

Postby dwj3006@gmail.com » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks for reply good info, trying to learn more about PM's

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:13 pm

If he is just wanting to spend the night on his way to my house, I'll give you a big Thank You for helping him on his path home. :)

dwj3006@gmail.com

Postby dwj3006@gmail.com » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 pm

Your welcome the room and board is free here!! I'm thinking that single bird is staying here seen him again on top of same house this evening at sundown. Seems that's when I see him arrive at sundown it was a beautiful day outside here today and no sighting until late in evening.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Sounds like he made it home. Congratulations

dwj3006@gmail.com

Postby dwj3006@gmail.com » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:54 pm

I hope so I have put PM houses in my neighbors yards now they are excited to hopefully get some PM's as well😊

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

New Arrivals 2020

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:48 pm

Open some compartments for the newly arrived purple martin. He flew all the way from Brazil to reclaim HIS house only to find that he is locked out. Poor fellow, it warmer and safer for him to spend the night in a compartment. Even if he is just passing through but I suspect he is returning to his last season home.
Hopefully you have enlarged compartments at least 6 x 12" in size with SREH (starling resistant entrance hole). If you still have round entrance holes then you will be battling the European Starlings. Nothing you can do to stop an English Sparrow that does not also exclude a Purple Martin.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

dwj3006@gmail.com

Postby dwj3006@gmail.com » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 am

Thanks my entrances are open now and guess I need to check early in morning see if he's staying here. The holes in 2 of my houses are starling resistant holes and 2 houses are not. I need to either replace the two older houses or fix the entrances. The sparrows are busy but I keep pulling out their straw nest.

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:43 am

Hi dwj,
The first few years of hosting martins is a numbers game. Hopefully, the successful pairs a person has the previous year survive through their time away. Once the numbers hit around 5 pair, it is a good bet that you have a great chance of maintaining a growing colony. In the years ahead you may want to start thinking about the ultimate size you wish to maintain. I always say, keep a colony number that can be well managed for health and success.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

dwj3006@gmail.com

Postby dwj3006@gmail.com » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:13 pm

thanks for the info Dave im enjoying learning more about the PM.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

New Arrivals 2020

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:24 pm

What kind of houses do you have? Especially those houses that are not equipped with SREH.
Are any of the compartments less than 6 x 12" in size?
Some new landlords do not understand that SREH are only used with expanded compartments. The original small compartments were small to discourage starlings but very vulnerable for purple martins. Expanded compartments are much better for and preferred by purple martins but are then desirable to starlings. The purpose of SREH is to keep starlings out of these enlarged compartments.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

dwj3006@gmail.com

Postby dwj3006@gmail.com » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:41 am

thanks for info 4th gen I have a total of 4 houses 2 are newer SREH and 2 are older small com partments with round hole entrances. Im currently installing a dado blade on my table saw to build finger joint box houses to replace all of them have the larger compartments and SREH entrances. Currently looking for plans and photos to do so.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”