FIRST PAIR RETURNS!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

FIRST PAIR RETURNS!!

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 am

Walked outside about 9am and guess what! There is a pair of ASY male and female sitting on the perch and checkin out gourds!! I’m jumpin for joy! Fixin to leave for the day on a club ride so y’all cross ur fingers they are here to stay. Can’t wait to get back home this afternoon to see if they are still here. They are jus hangin out sitting and checkin out gourds,we shall see. Good day all and I’ll report this evening.🤞🤞🤞

deancamp

Re: FIRST PAIR RETURNS!!

Postby deancamp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:31 am

Good news. That's good to hear you can trap and relocate with no troubles. :)

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Steve will be thrilled to learn hes down a few martins! Great news!
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Bragger! Just kidding. Congrats. Saw my first Tree Swallows this morning, so hoping a few of mine come on in. You'd think after 17 successful seasons that the "anxiety" would be gone, but NOPE.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

Steve Kroenke

Postby Steve Kroenke » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 pm

David,

You obviously stole a pair of MY martins with your repeating trap! But I'm not asking for them back! :lol: Really glad your first martins have returned home.

Our weather has improved some and there are finally some south winds today. This may trigger more martins heading to their breeding colonies. I will be watching our colonies closely this evening at roosting time and tomorrow.

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Well I’m home (3:30) no martins.... and right when I was leaving I saw a second female so that was three. They either went three houses down to the neighbors or they are out feeding. I’m thinking they are out feeding. Close to dark will tell the tale. I haven’t asked the neighbor if he saw em at his house,I don’t wanna know

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:50 pm

In marginal weather, very early in the season, they’re gonna feed as late as they can. Sometimes it’s almost pitch black dark when they come back.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Gosh dang man ,the gas money is killin me. Headed back to Steve’s. Sat outside from an hour prior to dark until just now,dark no birds. They were sittin in the gourds ,makin flights and circling back and landing in the gourds,the male was singing,like we’re here y’all and nothing this evening ....? Gonna have to take a different trail tonight,Steve and bob may be on the lookout!
Last edited by PMDavid on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:42 pm

Happy for you, you know there back, just like last year. I am a good 5 weeks out for mine, but we must enjoy the ride. Can't wait to hear the stories of Hot Rod and The Nut bringing in their ladies to raise a family. Living through you guys down South until my birds make it home.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 am

RETRACTION....!!! This morning at 7:15 here comes ASY pair and 3 other birds. All singing and clicking. The pair stayed and are still here and the other three took off. The male is sitting on my gourd rack and the female is staying in a specific horizontal natural gourd hung under a trio. Had a successful pair in it last year so I’m thinking it’s probably a returning pair,very excited over all this . Will be out doing yard work today so I should be aware of any further activity today. I did notice before the other three left dean that one was rather small so there is a possibility I could have been Hot Rod ! The next few days should show .
STOKED ".....

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Well two birds came in at dark seemed to settle in and right at total dark one left out and I never saw him come back . The two were ASY males. But I guess it’s a start of some sort right.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Postby Dave Reynolds » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:07 pm

..... Congratulations to you and your new arrivals.... I can see ya grinning all the up here in Ohio... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — First pair, 5 Eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

PMCA Member

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:36 am

Thanks Dave,gotta get to work today so I won’t be able to see what goes on this morning. My mind will definitely be distracted as I think of what is and what may be (oh how philosophical) going on while I can’t be there to see. It will drive me nuts all day!

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Well y’all buisiness is pickin up! This evening there were two then three then four birds soaring home territory . All four went in gourds right at dark. Three ASY males and one ASY female(she’s new). All stayed until real dark and one of the males flew out,it then got so dark I don’t know if he returned or not. But three did stay and one was the female,so good start so far . Hope everyone else is pickin up buisiness also. Steve.... I brought my trap home so tell bob to stand down ! ✌️Bro. Y’all are all nice dudes and I’m glad I had all y’all for guidance and jokin around with. Thanks

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Your back in business and off to a good start. It's like a pyramid scheme, it starts with one and they recruit another and then you got two recruiters and they recruit two more and so on and so on.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”