Purple Martins in the Rural Missouri Magazine

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Purple Martins in the Rural Missouri Magazine

Postby KathyF » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm

One of the cool things I love about Missouri is its association of Electrical Co-ops. Many of you may be familiar and know they publish a state-wide monthly magazine where they highlight various topics around the state (one of my fave topics is the articles they do on the BEST restaurants here in Missouri).
Last summer, while my grandsons were here, I had the very fortunate opportunity to get my purple martin colony and my mentoring program highlighted as one of this March's "OUTDOORS" topics! The article was written by Zach Smith and he took the pictures as well.

Here is the online version of the article...the link below should take you right to the first page.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ruralmi ... startid=46
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com

Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Re: Purple Martins in the Rural Missouri Magazine

Postby Jeff Robinson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Awesome Kathy. Keep up the great work!

And thanks for the referral - Steve's only 12 minutes from my place so I went by and gave him some tips on recommended modifications to his 3 Trio's, and confirmed his relocation as spot-on.

Jeff
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:51 pm

Have not seen this issue but certainly will save this article. It’s wonderful to see how you care for and protect this species. I would not be surprised to see martins return to southern Mo. two to three weeks from now. Making preparations for them anyway. Have a good year.
Keith

KathyF

Postby KathyF » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:37 am

Awesome Kathy. Keep up the great work!

And thanks for the referral - Steve's only 12 minutes from my place so I went by and gave him some tips on recommended modifications to his 3 Trio's, and confirmed his relocation as spot-on.

Jeff
Jeff, THANK YOU! Just sent you another one. :grin:

I'm really surprised how many landlords there are in Rogersville! Thanks for all your support over there and maybe we'll get to do another MDC presentation this year.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair

KathyF

Postby KathyF » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:38 am

Have not seen this issue but certainly will save this article. It’s wonderful to see how you care for and protect this species. I would not be surprised to see martins return to southern Mo. two to three weeks from now. Making preparations for them anyway. Have a good year.
Keith
Thank you, Keith! You do a lot also to help them and it is very much appreciated!
Hey, Jeff and I texted yesterday and we're betting tomorrow is the day - 60 degrees!
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:01 am

Thanks for sharing the article Kathy. I love your set up and it was very interesting. Much appreciated.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”