The winds are favorable for Texas but...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:40 pm

The winds our blowing out of the South all along the coast of Mexico and up into Texas but I really hope the Martins hang back a bit because it's going to be real cold here on Wednesday and Thursday. Not sure how deep into Texas the cold weather will dip but there is a prediction of mixture of rain and sleet and freezing temps for Wednesday here in North Texas.

For those that have Martins here already do you have plans on how to keep them warm for a couple of nights? I don't have any Martins yet but I do have hand warmers ready to go should they arrive between now and Wednesday. I mentioned in another thread that I put them under the nesting material and remove it the next day if I see them leave. If I need another for the next night I just put one back in. If they don't fly out in the day I assume they are all hunkered down and I try not to disturb them. I learned all of this from the experts here over the years.

Just musing a bit as I look out the window.

Coolwhips.

Brad Biddle

Re: The winds are favorable for Texas but...

Postby Brad Biddle » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:47 pm

It must be favorable for northeast AL too. I have seen more "scouts" on a SE wind, but a friend of mine got his first one today in Rainsville AL with a SW wind. He and I run neck and neck on returns. I didn't get home before dark so maybe....
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:53 pm

Dr. Janice, my sister in Seguin, TX, saw and took pictures of an ASY-M and ASY-F as her first 2020 martin sighting today. But her colony is only 1/4 mile from Tony Frederickson's super colony.
She is not worried because lowest temperature are 34 for Wed. and 38 for Thurs. and her colony is so open that the THGs get sunshine at dawn.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, HOSP/EUST Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: 30 Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Last year three martins returned to our colony on Feb. 2, the earliest ever. Once I heard about the weather forecast for Wednesday night, Thursday morning I was so very glad they had not yet returned. Our temperature in Georgetown got down to 26 deg early this morning! And we had snow. Of course it all melted as soon as the sun started shining. But at 11:00 last night my hubby and I looked out the window and watched it. For the first time that I can remember looking at the radar it was solid blue and moving East for much of Texas. We have family in San Antonio and they got a little bit of snow.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:38 am

Sharon,
Im with you and im sure most martin LLs are as well. This is the time of year we worry about the early arrivals, all last week i was hoping to see them. I hope they stay on track...should be another week and a half for me. Way too cold for my liking no snow or freeze but its cold.
I think heat will be an issue for lots of us this year.
Tom
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!

Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:53 am

You guys probably know about this but windy.com is pretty cool site. There is a wealth of weather information there and so many layers you can look at other than just wind direction of many altitudes.

Coolwhips

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2020: ?
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:40 pm

Coolwhips, good site! I live on that one.
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”