A “sack” of new arrivals in Louisiana!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair

A “sack” of new arrivals in Louisiana!

Postby PMDavid » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:40 am

Just looking at the scout reports and seems Louisiana got a sack full of new arrivals the 23rd ! Bring em on its time. Shows new arrivals in five new places not previously listed .

Conrad Baker

Re: A “sack” of new arrivals in Louisiana!

Postby Conrad Baker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:12 pm

Judy Caillouet in Montz must feel like the sky has opened up and Martins fell out !! She has them all- Send me some Judy !!!!

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair

Postby PMDavid » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:45 am

I wonder if Judy was trying to post one scout or wasn’t finding her post and kept trying several times? At any rate I was out riding my street glide most of the day yesterday and I think I spent as much time with eyes in the sky as I did watching where I was going! And .....I spotted three different trio house that appeared to be not in use/maintained and enchroached by trees. When all this rain clears out ,that is my next mission,stop by and inquire. Two for sure are probably “in the bag”. Be great for making enlarged / fully refurbished for next season. Good luck fellow Louisianans,they are trickling in !
David.

mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B09s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 - 12 Troyer Horizontals with tunnels, 6 S&K B09s and 12 B011s all with tunnels. 43 eggs - 36 fledged

Postby mjfog » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:44 pm

pmdavid - Martins are funneling into Florida. I reported an ASY male on 1/6 at my buddy's colony about 3 miles west of mine here in Palm City. An ASY male (same one?) was seen at the same location the following few days, then gone. Last Wednesday, the 22nd, we spotted an ASY male sitting atop his foam T-14. Cool. Maybe a previous tenant!

Have yet to see a martin at my colony. Phooey. Good Season wishes to all you Louisiana landlords.

Better keep your eyes on the road than on martins or houses when you're out on your Glide for a spin.

I'm still pumped about our Tigers. Keep re-watching the Clemson game.

Mike P.S. If not previously mentioned, New Orleans is my home town; born at Touro Infirmary and raised near Broadway and Claiborne. What a great town. Living in Florida since graduating from LSU.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Hey Mike,be patient ,they are coming.i watch all the states on the scout reports and I feel sure your in the mix. Anytime now you’ll look out and BAM there they are. And yes you mentioned N.O......I told my wife we are gonna make a ride down there a little later and go to the oyster house which means after I eat a sack by my self we’ll have to stay the night. You can’t eat a sack then ride back for three hours. Ever seen iced down oysters in the saddle bags on a bike🤣😂? I’m gonna do it!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”