First pm!!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
flmike

First pm!!!

Postby flmike » Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 am

I’ve got a pm (my first ever) coming everyday for the last four days... it shows up each morning between 6:30-8 am and stays until noon or 1pm.

It sits on the house gurgling and singing, flying a loop, and going in and out of the compartments.

Is it waiting on a mate to fly by?

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Re: First pm!!!

Postby Dave Duit » Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 am

Hi Mike,
Congrats and yes it is waiting for a mate or other martins to come around. If you have a feeding platform or a raised platform it is good to place no oil prepared used small pieces of scrambled eggs during cold wet weather; supplement feeding. Or frozen and then thawed crickets. Cleaned crushed and microwaved for a minute egg shells are also a plus.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am

Hooray for you - I hope it finds a mate and stays and brings more with him
Billie from southern Wisonsin

flmike

Postby flmike » Tue May 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Here in central Virginia, it’s unusual to have any cold days this time of year... the lows on rainy cold days are still in the high 50’s.

I can’t tell if “my bird” is a male or female... Mostly grey with cream colored chest a bit mottled in the lower neck area in front and a small amount of purple sheen on the crown of its head. It has taken ownership of the house... I have bluebirds nesting 40’ away, they occasionally land on the martin house... it runs them off!

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Tue May 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Your on your way!!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Rat breached bird netting and nearly wiped out entire colony over a four day period. Problem was fixed!!

jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Postby jhcox » Tue May 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Congratulations FL Mike on your first Martin are you playing the Dawn song in the mornings and evenings to help him call in more martins. Good luck I hope you get more Martins soon.

flmike

Postby flmike » Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm

I tried playing the dawn song in April, but maybe I should start playing it again! Thanks for the poke in that!

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm

The martin will do all the bird calling you need. Sorry to go against the grain here, but I wouldn’t use any recording, he’ll do a much better job on his own.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Rat breached bird netting and nearly wiped out entire colony over a four day period. Problem was fixed!!

flmike

Postby flmike » Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 pm

It’s out on the house now chortling away! I have seen the occasional pm do a fly-by, but they never land or do more than a couple passes before moving on.

FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors brought over by “Percy”, a very enthusiastic SY male.
2019 - 10 nests, 51 eggs, 41 hatched, 40 fledged.

Postby FarmerHarv » Tue May 21, 2019 7:04 pm

That’s precisely what happened here last year, and I believe this year also. One very persistent SY sat on “his” house and chirped so much last year I thought he might die of starvation. I’m sure it was the same one this year that appeared early and has managed to coax another 5 pairs and a female for himself, so I went from zero to lots of martins due to him alone. Best decoy and dawn song ever. :grin:

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”