New landlord survey

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Buckdog122

I had an adult pair hang around most of the evening and even spent some time together in the gourd. and possibly are in the gourd now! My daughter and I were able to enjoy the show before the rain and cold ran her out. I saw her on the checking it out at about 15 minutes before sunset. I can’t wait to see if they are there in the morning. Cross your fingers!
Buckdog
Bkhollan

I'm in southern Indiana, but I've been seeing visitors everyday in my first year trying to establish a colony. I have two decoys up, play the song most days, and have housing located in a very open area about 10'-11' off the ground. I usually see them later in the afternoon or evening.
tboydshirt
Martin Colony History: new in 2017, but ready for lots of birds. 44 gourds and 40 t14 style holes

Yeah, now somebody just needs to tell the martins that! I've done all I can. Now the waiting game.
DottieL

My third year nothing yet. Excluder II SREH. Because the past couple of years what visitors I had gave up on trying to enter the SREH's. After an interested male and female became curious yesterday, I decided to try change out one of the SREH with an original door with the round hole to make it easier for them. That PAIR became excited right away. They were very active, zipping in and out and being really vocal and animated. Then came the damn starlings! The martins were bonded enough to the housing that they actually attempted to fight the starlings. It became dark, but the martins returned the next day. The starlings continued to chase them off and took possession of the house by dragging in nesting material. So I put the SREH door back in so I could break the starling's bond on the housing. Oh how I wish I could make or purchase a starling trap. If I could get rid of those soon, I believe the martins would return.
Dorothy ......in the "Land of the Yellow Brick Road" click click !!
randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year 0 Martins
2019- Lots Lookers
2020- TBD

DottieL wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:06 pm
My third year nothing yet. Excluder II SREH. Because the past couple of years what visitors I had gave up on trying to enter the SREH's. After an interested male and female became curious yesterday, I decided to try change out one of the SREH with an original door with the round hole to make it easier for them. That PAIR became excited right away. They were very active, zipping in and out and being really vocal and animated. Then came the damn starlings! The martins were bonded enough to the housing that they actually attempted to fight the starlings. It became dark, but the martins returned the next day. The starlings continued to chase them off and took possession of the house by dragging in nesting material. So I put the SREH door back in so I could break the starling's bond on the housing. Oh how I wish I could make or purchase a starling trap. If I could get rid of those soon, I believe the martins would return.

Dottie, shotgun.
2018-14 Gourds First Year 0 Martins
2019- 14 Gourds Lots Lookers
2020- 6 Gourds TBD
Birdguy / OH

Image-1 (1).jpg
(390.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SW Ohio here and had my first two visitors for the first time in 7 years of trying. A female first and then 15 minutes later a male came. Checked out some of the rooms, circled a few times and then headed north. So I've finally had some visitors and that was an amazing feeling seeing them. In the burbs I feel I'm not in the ideal flight path. Added gourds this year and I think that helped. Today just seemed like there was a lot of bird activity in general. I'll take this as a promising sign.
Watussi

Newbie here in Northwest Georgia. Had an adult pair land on my housing the day after I put it up and haven’t had anything but free swallows since. Working on the Drew method now to get rid of TS’s and then setting back up.
Bkhollan

First year for me on starting a colony in Southern Indiana. I have 12 of the Troyer Horizontals with 2 decoys and dawnsong. I started having overnight visitors so I quit playing the dawnsong after I saw they stayed overnight 2-3 days in a row and we had really bad storms here.I went on a trip for work for four days so I was a little worried when I came back they would've moved on. However I've got two pair staying the night for about a week now. I wasn't expecting anything until the sub adults made their way this far north but I have two adult males and females paired up in two of my gourds.

There's a lot of PM houses in my area. However I've noticed most aren't ideal for the PMs (under trees, other species nesting in them, metal rooms with 6x6 rooms, none have predator guards) so I may have gotten a couple that decided to relocate.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

If it were possible, I would give a pair from my own colony to every landlord wannabe. But, sorry to say it doesn't work that way as they would simply return to my colony. I wish you the best my friends.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Gr8-Purps

Last year didn’t get setup till later in the summer. Had 3 adult males hang around for a couple of weeks, then started having issues with sparrows. The started showing less and less then gone by 3rd week.
This year had everything ready and out early. Adult male w/what looked like 2sub/fems showed up around end of April. They started building the first day and have stayed every night since then. Looked at the nest yesterday and it is well made but no eggs yet. This male is quite an a-hole and wants the entire site for him and his girl. So have a pole with six girds w/only one being used. Another male came this morning, but again he continues to fight off any other males. I have another pole I will put up next year if I can’t get it up in the next few days. Really mad this one Martin can’t be more sociable, but I guess one is better than none. I’m in Farmersville,Texas (east of Dallas) good luck to you.
Kim

I couldn’t be more excited to be posting. They have come! They arrived yesterday, only saw a few, but this morning there were many! I could hear them chirping and sat content, like my dad used to, watching them go in and out of the house and the gourds. My dad passed in 2009 and my mom. 6 months later. It seems like yesterday and I am missing them still so much. The purple Martin house they had was put up at my house this year. The later it got I figured I’d have to wait another year but suddenly here they are! Is there a place to upload a picture? I’m in Florida by the way, how will I know when eggs have been laid?
Buckdog122

Finally had some overnight visitors, 2 asy and another which I couldn’t identity. 4 nights in a row lots of activity and was using one gourd a lot, and then the weather went to crap and I really hadn’t seen hide not hair for 2 days. Is that common or am I back to square one:(
Buckdog
Buckdog122

Was waiting on pins and needles this morning and they emerged:) keeping my fingers crossed!
Good luck to all!
handyman315
Martin Colony History: Colony established May 20, 2017 after three unsuccessful years. Persistent and aggressive Tree Swallows plagued the site, but beyond learning - and practicing - to control them, was the return in 2017 of a 2016-SY-M previously unable to find a mate. As a handsome ASY-M, he brought along two females and a swagger that soon put the Tree Swallow issue to rest. As the anchor pair, he and his mate hatched all six of their eggs into fat and healthy babies into what settled in to be a three-pair, flourishing new colony with up to 11 birds total, including 3 SY-M trouble makers.

BillieJR wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:03 pm
Lol! I think many of us look like we've lost our marbles. :) Good luck!

Start flipping crickets and even the neighbors that know we're "different" start getting concerned! :lol:
2019- 19 Nesting Pair Fledged 84 babies. The Pattern is Full.
2018-ASY-M Arrived April 6, Despite Snow & Cold, Joined Soon by Mate & Two Adult Pairs, Season of 11 Nests W/48 Babies
2017-FIRST-YEAR LANDLORD! :grin: Resident SY-M from 2016 Returned (as ASY-M) on May 20. At Least 11 Resident PMs, with 13 Fledged from Three Nests and Operated a Daily Flying Circus :grin:
2016-Late-Arriving SYs, Resident Lone SY-M, Unable to Find Mate
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
BillieJR

lol! No doubt! :)

On a side note- I have still not seen even 1 purple martin this year. Unless they have been around, passing thru, etc, when I wasn't looking. But I swear - I look out that window/patio door 100 times a day. The temps here in southern Wisconsin is going to be nicer this week so I have my fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone else.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Heavy_D
Martin Colony History: 2019 2 pair 9 egss so far
2018 many vistors
2017 SY pair made nest and laid 2 eggs but lost female male moved on

What is the latest opinion on SYs and the timing of things this year? Is the cool wet weather going to cause the season to go a little further into June?
I am in my 3rd year of trying and have only seen a couple of ASY visitors this year. I have not yet noticed any SYs at my site.
I am in the Kansas City area.
sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

Subbies are still arriving daily in Ohio ...It will slow down the first week of June but there are always some late ones, Older fella's used to call them June Martins
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments ?
Black Jack

I started 2 yrs ago and have had one pair the first year.SY fledged 2. This year I have 1 pair ASY feeding babies now. I do believe the male is my returnee from last year.
handyman315
Martin Colony History: Colony established May 20, 2017 after three unsuccessful years. Persistent and aggressive Tree Swallows plagued the site, but beyond learning - and practicing - to control them, was the return in 2017 of a 2016-SY-M previously unable to find a mate. As a handsome ASY-M, he brought along two females and a swagger that soon put the Tree Swallow issue to rest. As the anchor pair, he and his mate hatched all six of their eggs into fat and healthy babies into what settled in to be a three-pair, flourishing new colony with up to 11 birds total, including 3 SY-M trouble makers.

PMDavid wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 pm

I had one sy male that would rush in at dark and stayed in a certain gourd. All by himself. I named him the “nut”. I mean why would you run down here at dark and leave 18 others three houses away to be by yourself ?! So guess what this year the nut returned as a ASY and when he showed up he went straight to the same gourd he was in last year! It had to be him. With in a few days he showed up with a chic,then in a few more days they showed up with another pair,then about two weeks later another pair! So they’ve all been here for quite a while now . They are very pair bonded at this point and have all picked a certain gourd and sleep as pairs. Pretty cool. I haven’t noticed any nest building yet.
David in Louisiana.

Pretty much what I experienced in establishing my now 3rd season colony. BTW, my charter male was just "Spot" as an SY, but next year in his full, black tux, he became "JB", for "Jet Black ", with "Rio Rita" on his wing. :lol:
2019- 19 Nesting Pair Fledged 84 babies. The Pattern is Full.
2018-ASY-M Arrived April 6, Despite Snow & Cold, Joined Soon by Mate & Two Adult Pairs, Season of 11 Nests W/48 Babies
2017-FIRST-YEAR LANDLORD! :grin: Resident SY-M from 2016 Returned (as ASY-M) on May 20. At Least 11 Resident PMs, with 13 Fledged from Three Nests and Operated a Daily Flying Circus :grin:
2016-Late-Arriving SYs, Resident Lone SY-M, Unable to Find Mate
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
cphanson

I live next to the Mississippi River in west central Wisconsin. I erected a deluxe pole/gourd system, with two decoys, in late April and have been playing the dawn song nearly every morning. Initially I only installed six gourds, three with round holes and three with crescent holes and perches. Although I did not take the time to mold pine straw into a nest like structure, as one of the members says he does, I have nicely placed pine straw in the bottom of each gourd, which (I think if I were a bird) seems inviting enough. The location of the setup appears to be good, with adequate flyways and height. Although there are cliff swallows which live nearby and fly around my yard, none have even bothered to look at my houses. Fortunately, I have had no starlings - NONE, thank goodness - and although it has taken some effort, it seems the sparrows are pretty much controlled. For several weeks I waited patiently and then last Wednesday (June 5) two purple martins swooped in and looked around. What a thrill that was! They returned shortly thereafter with another (all appeared to be sub adults) and one excitedly popped into one of the round hole gourds and stuck its head out. They returned again that afternoon, so I decided to add the other six gourds (with pine straw) to the pole, just to give them a greater choice of housing. Since then, at least one sub adult, and sometimes what appears to be a pair, have returned at least once each day. Sometimes they just fly around, or sit on an electric wire near the houses, then fly up close to inspect the gourds then dramatically flare away. Sometimes they actually sit on the perches on top of the houses, next to the decoys, and/or pop back into the round hole gourd they first chose. One time a martin actually inspected several of the gourds, hopping from one to the next. Despite this activity, there has seemed to have been no nesting action and I have not yet seen one spend a full evening. I have not seen any birds yet this morning (early Monday, June 10), but that doesn't bother me (yet, at least) because there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the timing of their daily arrival. Although I recognize I may not have any nesting pairs this season, because they have discovered my houses I am convinced I will eventually have a colony. In the interim I'm going to remain patient and enjoy the magnificence of their swooping flight and their excited chirps. I also greatly appreciate the information I have been able to glean from this forum.