Central Texas

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
sonnya
Martin Colony History: New to it.

Has anyone seen birds as of yet? Looking but not seen.
rrmartins

Mine showed up two weeks ago. Have three staying now. Going to be very bad weather for them Sunday thru Tuesday, hope they make it. I put wood shavings in their cavity they selected too help keep them warm. Good luck!!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
volkmerk

I saw a high flier today Thursday 03/07 over Georgetown, Texas. Got my Dawn Song blaring and my gourds up
NewMartinMan
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

Our first martin showed up February 2 and on February 3 we had a pair. We have had steady arrivals since then.
We have had a successful colony for several years now and that is the reason ours return so early. Have you had martins previously or are you just starting out?
volkmerk

Its my 2nd year, however year one was a flop as I got martins (sub adults) and while 2 pair stayed for several weeks, by end of june they were not mating nor any eggs. Not sure what happened but going at it again.
NewMartinMan
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

(Not sure what happened but going at it again.)

Volkmerk. Good for you. We didn’t get any birds our first year. Our second year we had one pair with six babies. Then a terrible thing happened when a rat snake managed to bypass our baffle and ate mom and all the babies. Dad wasn’t there. I found the snake still in the gourd but it was too late. We got rid of everything, including the snake, and put up a different gourd in its place. It was so sad when daddy came back looking for his family. I was so upset and decided I didn’t want to be a landlord anymore. But people on this forum were so supportive and encouraging so we kept on. That predator attack didn’t seem to affect our chances the following year when we started getting more birds. We started using netting to catch snakes and when my husband got tired of untangling them we eventually added a hot wire as well. I now preach netting every chance I get because those snakes are out there. We have averaged about 130 babies that fledge each year for several years now.

If you had subadults last year there is a good chance you’ll be seeing some martins. It may be in March but could be sooner if the earlier birds have lost their previous home for some reason. Keep watching and be ready.
volkmerk

had a male visit this morning, brief but it was a visit, hopeful more to come
NewMartinMan