4th Gen Martin Fan

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Two SY males seen in 9 years.

4th Gen Martin Fan

Postby Ryan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:59 am

Mark, I sent you an email from this site a couple weeks ago. I guess you didn't get it. You were saying last fall that you wanted to try out one of these wood chalets. Well I finally got a batch done up. Might be too late this year for you, but let me know if you want one and we'll figure out shipping and costs.

Ryan
Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting tired of updating this list.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Re: 4th Gen Martin Fan

Postby Dave Reynolds » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Ryan ... Nice looking house... Good luck in 2018...

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — First pair, 5 Eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

PMCA Member

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Ryan's Chalet

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Ryan,
I was reviewing old posts and found your post belatedly. How did I miss this post?!
If it is not too late, I want to purchase one of your Chalets to try here in the MidSouth/Memphis, TN area.
I am very interested in applying Northern Latitude martin housing in a Southern Latitude colony.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”