Hello from Mount Dora, Florida

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMloverBarb

My name is Barb Messimer. Some of you might know me as I've been a martin landlord (off and on) since 1983 and used to post on the forum.

I presently have been trying to establish a colony in Mount Dora, Florida where I have a manufactured home in a 55+ community. I think it would give a lot of the elderly people here a thrill and a boost to their health to be able to watch these graceful birds and listen to their melodious songs!

I've been trying for 4 years and haven't given up hope. I was thrilled when 2 pairs came last year for 2 weeks but then the GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHERS and the RED BELLIED WOODPECKERS ran them off! Surely this will be the year they come and stay!

Barb
Barb Messimer AKA "FLORIDA SUNSHINE GODDESS"

Martin landlord in Orlando 1983-1986 and in Apopka 2003-2010. Living in Mount Dora now. 4 years trying to attract martins. Site isn't ideal but the best that it can be. Had 2 ASY pairs last year but the FLYCATCHERS and WOODPECKERS ran them off! Hoping this will be my year!
Dale D
Martin Colony History: Landlord since 2004

Hello Barb, my name is Dale and I am from Orlando, Fl. I believe I know you. :grin: Wishing you the best of luck getting those martins back again this year.
Last edited by Dale D on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 42 Cavities Total
-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

PMloverBarb wrote:My name is Barb Messimer. Some of you might know me as I've been a martin landlord (off and on) since 1983 and used to post on the forum.

I presently have been trying to establish a colony in Mount Dora, Florida where I have a manufactured home in a 55+ community. I think it would give a lot of the elderly people here a thrill and a boost to their health to be able to watch these graceful birds and listen to their melodious songs!

I've been trying for 4 years and haven't given up hope. I was thrilled when 2 pairs came last year for 2 weeks but then the GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHERS and the RED BELLIED WOODPECKERS ran them off! Surely this will be the year they come and stay!

Barb
I had a Couch's Kingbird pair in 2015 & 2016 that kept attacking visiting Martins. In their defense, the Martins that visited were latecomers and the Couch's already had fledglings close by.

In 2017 the Martins set up house before the Kingbirds laid eggs and they didn't bother the Martins at all, even after the Kingbirds had babies.

And the best thing was that the Kingbirds did a fantastic job of keeping the laughing gulls away from my Martin colony last year.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Let me first say,, Welcome to the Forum... Glad to see you here.. Sure hope you will be successful this year, I know everyone will enjoy them where you are living now... Good luck..

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

PMCA Member
PMloverBarb

Yes, as you know, I know you well, Dale. Will keep the forum posted about any martin success this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, I'm hoping BB Brown's Gardens starts their colony this year. I was happy to donate a gourd rack and super gourds last week and since their location is perfect (wide open and on a lake), I am almost positive they will.
Last edited by PMloverBarb on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PMloverBarb

DKC,
Same situation. The two pairs of martins were late comers and the competing birds were pretty well established and more aggressive. I'm hoping the martins come in a little earlier and can ward them off this year. Hope to have the same success you had!

Martin landlord in Orlando 1983-1986 and in Apopka 2003-2010. Living in Mount Dora now. 4 years trying to attract martins. Site isn't ideal but the best that it can be. Had 2 ASY pairs last year but the FLYCATCHERS and WOODPECKERS ran them off! Hoping this will be my year!
PMloverBarb

Thank you, Dave. My neighbors are retired and most are in their 70's, 80's and even 90's. Some don't get out much. I think having martins (the site is located at the entrance to Dora Pines and near the clubhouse) would be wonderful and add so much to their lives. There are a lot of trees around, and I can't cut them down so the location is less than perfect.... but we will see. We have a lot of lakes in the area and the martins have been coming and going here for the past four years. Surely one of these years they're going to stay!

PMloverBarb

I'm just learning the forum so checking to see if this is the correct way to reply to a post.

Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Delux Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 7 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I have a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also have an rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, I have a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Delux Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

Welcome back, Barb! Good to see you on here again and GOOD LUCK this year with your martins. I have seen pics of your site and it looks good to me. You just need some more aggressive martins!!!

Carl
PMloverBarb

Thanks, Carl.

I finished the last touches this weekend. I have a house with 4 Troyer Verticals underneath and a gourd rack with 4 Troyer Verticals and 2 Troyer Horizontals. They're spaced about 15 feet apart. I've done everything I can to make them appealing... have prenested with white pine needles and kept them somewhat "weathered looking". It's my belief that martins looking to start a new colony don't trust a site that looks too pristine and new. But if you have a good location and a good setup, I guess it doesn't matter that much.

My site has good flyways but unfortunately, there are a lot of trees in the area. I'm hoping some desperate martins will come in early, bond to the site and defend it against the competitors.

RC Moser

Hello, I live up the road and across couple ponds from you in the villages. I can see why having hard time attracting Purple Martins in Central Florida, There aren't many around. I see Very few even flying during season. I have only see two small colonies here. One good thing, don't see many starlings around Residential areas. Good Luck in starting colony.
PMloverBarb

Thanks for the well wishes, RC. I've been a Purple Martin landlord off-and-on since 1983 and had a nice large colony in Apopka for a number of years before moving to Mount Dora. You're absolutely right.... They aren't plentiful here but they HAVE come to my setup at times, and I believe with all my heart that I will eventually get some to settle here.

Yes, this area doesn't have a starling or house sparrow problem and I'm very grateful for that!

By the way, I'm a nurse at THE VILLAGES HEALTH so I'm in your neck of the woods Mon-Fri.

Do you have martins????? ~Barb

RC Moser

No, not in the villages, Had large colony in Oklahoma for 18 years before we moved here. I only seen three small colonies in villages. One down by Fish Hawk Rec center, another down Canal Street close to Truman Rec center, and another of BV by Palmer's golf course, Rarely see any swallows up by Lopez (Far North in the villages) where I live. I hope you get them.
John Miller

Having a flashback..Barb, RC. Barb I recall an article in the PMCA magazine by you where you moved a colony. RC...half I know I learned from you. Good luck to you both this season.

John Miller, St. Louis
RC Moser

thanks John, I miss my hails 2 acres. maybe small farm in Missouri in the future? :shock:
John Miller

RC Missouri...big state with lots of options. I have some cousins in northern Missouri in Brookfield, which seems about as Norman Rockwell an area as you'll find. But it is pretty cold in winter. John
apundt-TX
Martin Colony History: :
Starting over in 2018
9 pair 2017
17 pair 2015
12 pair 2014
8 pair 2013
5 pair 2012
2 pair 2011

Welcome back Florida Sunshine Goddess!!!
PMCA member
racks:CUE AAA-16, PMCA Multipurpose pole , S&K EZ-Lift, Lonestar/Songbird Essentials, CUE 12 gourd rack
gourds: S&K gourds, Supergourds, Troyer horizontals, Naturalines, few naturals
housing: S&K great 8, TRIO M12K, Coates/BirdsChoice 8 room wateresdge
PMloverBarb

RC Moser, I remember you now. Didn't know you were the same RC Moser from the forum. So you live in The Villages now. It's a far cry from Oklahoma, isn't it! I know you miss your martins.

.......and John, yes...... I wrote the article in the PMCA magazine "MOVING ON DOWN THE ROAD" about how I relocated my colony early in the season just as the scouts were returning. It was a miracle that I didn't lose my colony but it was no more than a mile away and there weren't any competing sites. That helped! It's a real challenge to attract them here but had a little success last year that has given me hope. You have done so much in Missouri to promote the martins and I really respect you for that!

Hi, AP.......... Thanks for the welcome back. I hope to have some good news to report before too long.

RC Moser

John Miller wrote:RC Missouri...big state with lots of options. I have some cousins in northern Missouri in Brookfield, which seems about as Norman Rockwell an area as you'll find. But it is pretty cold in winter. John
born in NW Missouri, Small Farm town, Oregon Mo. Know Brookfield quit well. Use to drive my mother over there when in high school to her job.
RC Moser

PMloverBarb wrote:RC Moser, I remember you now. Didn't know you were the same RC Moser from the forum. So you live in The Villages now. It's a far cry from Oklahoma, isn't it! I know you miss your martins.

.......and John, yes...... I wrote the article in the PMCA magazine "MOVING ON DOWN THE ROAD" about how I relocated my colony early in the season just as the scouts were returning. It was a miracle that I didn't lose my colony but it was no more than a mile away and there weren't any competing sites. That helped! It's a real challenge to attract them here but had a little success last year that has given me hope. You have done so much in Missouri to promote the martins and I really respect you for that!

Hi, AP.......... Thanks for the welcome back. I hope to have some good news to report before too long.

Yes it is, got away from earthquakes and tornado's to hurricane's and sinkholes/Ground Collapse! The one in Calumet Grove was about 400 yards away from me.