moon ray lightes

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MarkinMn

....I've put up 3 moon ray solar operated lights on 3 out of 4 of my martinhouse poles. ( at eye level opposite my winches) I put them up after the first eggs (two weeks ago) appeared, so the martins would get used to seeing them.......has anyone mounted them on top of the pm houses to more effectivly ward off owls....? Have babies now....so is their need to feed babies stronger than a strange globe appearing a foot above their house, as apposed to putting up woven mesh owl guards around the trios, or bars in front of the t-14's would be....?....I put one up on the platform feeder with pine needles and egg shells,but, took it down when they stopped visiting the feeder for 2 following days......any thoughts would be greatly appreciated......thanks....."stay safe"......Mrk
MarkinMn

......pic if my site.....
Attachments
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG (34.26 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
Donnie Hurdt MN

I have three solar lights on a perching rack next to my martin house and the martins and tree swallows don't mind them a bit. I also have a solar powered spotlight shining directly on my martins house so I can keep an eye on it at night as we have a pair of Barred owls nesting in the woods near our yard.
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:
2019 Same old story................ :-(
MarkinMn

.....hi...and thanks for responding Donnie.....what kind of solar lights do you have ? Do they change color? any pics/info would be helpful......a lot of great horned owls around here....so i worry....If you're in/near north prairie.....you should be able to get all kinds of pm's near the mississippi river.............Mrk
Donnie Hurdt MN

The solar lights are just the small cheap ones from Wal Mart all of my solar lights are white, I have about 170 or so scattered around our yard.I call it my mini Las Vegas. Our yard is about two acers large, so there is plenty of room for solar lights. I don't have a smart phone to take good pictures with, our digital camera was stolen when our house was broken into a few years back we just never bought another one.
I only have one pair of martins, these are the first pair to nest since 2011 when I had a pair. My neighbors a half mile from me have 50+ pair, and I have a bunch of my gourds hung up under their housing but it is very hard to get them here in my yard as there is woods all around my yard.
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:
2019 Same old story................ :-(
MarkinMn

...Hey Donnie......lights don't seem to bother pm's .....otherwise they wouldn't set up colonies in town, i would guess ....I bet your yard looks pretty snazzy with all the lights....haha! Las Vegas....I like that!!...sorry to hear bout your getting broken into.....we haven't had that problem around here (yet)....too many gun owners maybe? my cousin Jeff, used to live a couple miles north of North Prairie, i don't remember him ever saying that he'd had that kind of problem......WOW!! 50 pair!! You would think you could at least get a half dozen sy's!! Maybe you could lumberjack some of your trees to make a couple of flyways....... Maybe arrange some of your lights in the shape of an arrow with a lit "bed an' breakfast" sign? teehee....just kidding.........anyway....I'm going to try to put a solar light on top of each of my pm houses to ward off owls......will see............"stay safe"........Mrk