Speaker placement vs martin house

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
LonesomeDuck
Martin Colony History: 2016- Some visitors on my Trendsetter 12, no nesting pairs yet.
2017- More visitors, still no nesting pairs yet.
2018- Added Troyer Horizontal gourds and moved house to more open location. One nesting pair of subadults! 2 eggs, 1 egg hatched.
2019- added Gemini gourd rack. 2 pairs, 10 eggs, 10 hatched.

Hi everyone,

Right now I have the dawn song set up to play on a speaker about 100 feet away from my martin house under a shed roof overhang. I had it there to protect it from the elements. I have a martin that circles around 5-10 minutes every morning here recently, but it just mainly circles around the shed and the speaker (even pecking at the speaker a bit) and only every now and then bothers to land on or circle around the martin house. Should I try to move my speaker to directly attach to the martin house, or would that be too loud and disturb martins from potentially nesting?

Thanks.
Annie G

I would move it to your Martin house and play it low.. just might bring them in and check out your house. :wink:
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
LonesomeDuck
Martin Colony History: 2016- Some visitors on my Trendsetter 12, no nesting pairs yet.
2017- More visitors, still no nesting pairs yet.
2018- Added Troyer Horizontal gourds and moved house to more open location. One nesting pair of subadults! 2 eggs, 1 egg hatched.
2019- added Gemini gourd rack. 2 pairs, 10 eggs, 10 hatched.

I put the speaker on the martin house yesterday, let's hope this works! I was unable to hang it under the martin house, so right now it's actually blocking one of entrance holes. Hope the martins won't mind!
Martinfarmer
Martin Colony History: 2015 put up a S-k house, visitors but no takers
2016 homemade Martin condo (40 nesting boxes) several visitors no takers
2017 changed crescent openings to Troyer Conley 2 openings and installed 4 super gourds with Conley2 adapters and 12 vertical Troyers.
Several nests and eggs. Hopefully will exceed one hundred eggs this year.
6-21-17 nest inspection 68 chicks and 26 eggs
6-30-17 inspection 90 chicks and a new nest with 4 eggs.
8-30-17 successfully fledged over 85 martins.

I have a cheap CD player sitting at the base of my Martin house with a five gallon bucket for cover. The speakers sit out in the weather. It's in its second season. I have been expecting the laser to burn out at any time, but it's still running.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

This is the best way! Get it up there where you want your martins! Image

I put speaker in a natural gourd, Then stuck a decoy out of opening!!
Sharon from southern Illinois
Buckeyefarmer
Martin Colony History: 2015- 0 visitors
2016- 0 visitors
2017- built T-14+songbird magnet, 6 pairs,15 fledged
2018- built 2nd T-14. Anxiously waiting!!

I made a weather resistant cover for mine out of a piece of aluminum flashing then attached it to the bottom of my T-14. I play the volume at about half on the Songbird Magnet. It really sounds a bit distorted above that. I have it on a timer that starts at 6 AM and let it play throughout the day.
Attachments
RenderedContent-CC908735-BEAD-4C0F-9D2F-B699AD43EE94.JPG
(63.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mark
Central, OHIO.
j6745l@gmail.com
Martin Colony History: 2016, put Troyer pole with 6 units Horizontal with Conley 11 Tunnels.
Had some visits (two sittings) last year. A visit this year 2017.

[quote="taxidermy lady"]This is the best way! Get it up there where you want your martins! Image

I put speaker in a natural gourd, Then stuck a decoy out of opening!![/quote

I just duck taped to to the lifting apparatus to lower and lift gourds. Believe me we have had lots of rain here and I have had no problems with dawn song from water.