Alert! Red banded martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Martin nestlings have been banded here in Central Wisconsin at my colony for the last four years. I do not have a banding permit and the banding is accomplished under the auspices of a Master Banding Permit holder at the University. We band 75 -85 each year depending on the ages of the nestlings. Last year, 6 returned here as ASY martins. Several others were identified within about 25 miles of their natal site and one was recognized at a colony in Minnesota about 250 miles away. We will again be banding this year.

Already this year, 4 banded martins have returned home as ASY. The birds carry a easily seen red aluminum band with white numerals on their right leg. Although you may not be able to read the band with binoculars, you will be able to easily see it. It can be read with a spotting scope, something that is difficult at best with aluminum bands. If you see one in Wisconsin or surrounding states, please email me here. If I can make it, I will come and identify the band ids. If nothing else, a report can assist in filling in some blanks.

The purpose of the study is to map the distribution of juvenile martins from their natal site.

Thanks,

Ed
Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Three SY males seen in 10 years.

Nice work Ed.

A study like this is especially interesting to those trying to establish a colony without a healthy colony close by to draw from.
Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June and built a nest. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting tired of updating this list.
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

A banded sy female was at my site here last summer, the previous year she was banded by Dr. Kevin Fraser in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is approximately 60 miles from my site. I'll be looking for her to return this summer. She raised a brood of 4 chicks last summer.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

During my first nest checks today to see how nests were progressing, one ASY female stayed put. I picked her up and saw a red band as well as her USGS aluminum band. The year was 2014 and she was #02. She has returned for the third year. I have caught her by hand every year. She was banded here on June 28, 2014 when she was 11 days old along with 4 nest mates. Last year she successfully fledged 5 young. There are 3 or 4 other red banded birds here. I just have to wait until they settle down.

Keep an eye out. There have been 300+ banded here in the last 4 years. We would appreciate any reports of red bands sited at your colonies. I am mapping them to determine distribution from the natal site in coordination with the University of Wisconsin. The red bands are easy to read with good binoculars or an scope.

Thanks,

Ed
kim w.

Just had a red banded bird show up yesterday 5/27/17
Kim W.
Ed Svetich-WI

Red band with white lettering would be on the right leg. Lettering would read ES then the year, such as 15 for 2015 and then a two digit number. If possible, try reading it with either binoculars or a scope. I have 6 red banded back here this year. The oldest is a female banded on June 25, 2014.

We are planning to band again tnis year. We just recently got approval from the USGS for the auxillary bands in a slightly different format, WI followed by a number, but the same colors. Apparently they are trying to standardize all bands since there were too many formats in use.

Thank you for reporting your bird.

Ed
kim w.

Thanks Ed. Good to know. Unfortunately I doubt if I'll ever get to read the number with anything I have. I had sent you an email but didn't know if you received it. The good news is he still trying to bring in the ladies today.
Kim W.
Ed Svetich-WI

Kim,

No email, but thanks for the effort. Even if you can read the first two letters(ES), it would confirm that it was banded here and I could plot it on the map. It is possible that there are other people using red bands. I will try to email you and you can reply to that message.

Good luck this year.

Ed

Tried to email you, but no contact listed.
kim w.

Thanks Ed. I didn't realize it but it was turned off.
Kim W.
Ed Svetich-WI

I received reports of three red banded martins today. I would appreciate it if you would take a close look at your martins to check for bands. Last year,one was reported about 250 miles from here. I think most will be residing in Central Wisconsin, but who knows.If you see any red bands, either report it here or send me a private email thru the Forum. We are studying martin dispersal and your reports will be plotted on the map.

Thanks in advance.

Ed
randyM
Martin Colony History: 2006 - SY pair, unsuccessful nest attempt, 3 houses = 52 cavities

2010 - ASYM + SYF pair - male disappeared after storm, female fledged all 4 young.

2015 - Lone SYM stayed month of June...added 8 gourds = 60 cavities

2016 - 1 nesting pair (ASYM + SYF) 2/3 eggs hatched 2 young fledged.

2017 - 4 nesting pairs, 16/17 eggs hatched, 16 fledged, 16 banded - 2 banded SY returned in 2018 (12.5%), added housing: 11 houses w/gourds, 4 gourd poles = 376 cavities

2018 - 10 nesting pairs, 46/52 eggs hatched, 45 fledged, 29 banded - 3 banded SY returned in 2019 (10.3%)

2019 - 32 nesting pairs, 145/160 eggs hatched, 139 fledged - 87 banded - 12 banded SY returned in 2020 (13.8%).

2020 - 35 nesting pairs, 180/199 eggs hatched, 178 fledged - 150 banded.

I spotted a banded martin at my newly established colony in SD this morning. I put some egg shells out last week and saw this bird up close eating some today. The bird had a yellow band on left leg with black letters and aluminum on right leg. Turns out to be a SY male from a colony about 50 miles east of my colony. The additionally neat thing is that it came from a colony of a landlord I know who suggested to me that I add gourds to my housing, as I only had houses up for many years with little interest from martins. The day after I added the gourds to my existing housing in early June of 2015 a SY male arrived, stayed the summer and was likely the bird that came back last year as an ASY male and raised a family of 2 with his SY female companion. He's back this year with 3 other nesting pairs, 2 non-nesting SY pairs and a few lone SY males (one of which is the banded one I saw today). He's been at my site for about 10 days and has claimed a super gourd, but no ladies yet. I hope to see him back next year in his full purple attire with his yellow band (and of course, a female as well)! If any one sees yellow banded martins (on left leg) with the letters SD followed by a letter and three numbers, it's likely from the same colony where the bird I spotted today was from. Please report any bands you can read to the Bird Banding Lab, it can be done online and it's fast and easy.
Annie G

I just was looking at one of my gourd racks and happen to notice a sy male with a right leg red band and a silver left leg band. I only have binoculars so I can't read the letters or numbers. Could be one of yours Ed. Ann Goetz
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Please keep in mind that a red band does not necessarily mean it originated in Central Wisconsin. My permit allows me to paint federal bands different colors to distinguish the landlord site where I conduct banding sessions. I currently use red bands on the right leg at my site here in S.E. Kansas along with a yellow band with black lettering on the left leg. If at all possible, if you see a banded martin, try to obtain the numbers/letters off of the band.
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
Ed Svetich-WI

Annie,
Your red banded martin could very well be one banded here last year. I have the only auxillay red bands permitted in Wisconsin. The aluminum band is virtually impossible to read unless you have the bird in hand. As far as the red band, see if you can see the first two letters of ES, that will verify that it is one of mine. As the martin flies, we are only about 25 miles apart. That is a short hop from here.

So far this year, 6 red banded martins have been reported to me.I have eight returning banded ASY here this year. The oldest is a 3 year old ASY female. We can not know for sure where they originated as Tim rightly said. I believe that many banded martins are missed simply because no one takes a look with a pair of binoculars. There are many 100s banded here in Wisconsin every ear. How many are ever seen?

Thanks for being observant.

Annie, private message me if you will. Give me your phone number and I will call. I would like to come down tomorrow with my spotting scope to see if I can read the band.

Ed
Annie G

Ed.. I sent you an email.. He's here and hanging out on a gourd. One that an adult pair fledged 6 babies. Ann Goetz
Ed Svetich-WI

Sorry Annie, I did not receive your email.

Ed
Annie G

Sorry Ed, it is fine with us if you want to come. I will be home. Ann Goetz 608-617-3302 I sent another email. I do t know why you didn't get mine yesterday.
Ed Svetich-WI

Annie,

It was a pleasure to meet you and verify that the SY male at your colony was indeed banded at my colony on June 28, 2016. He was 13 days of age along with his 4 nest mates when banded. Both parents were ASY and he hatched and fledged succesfully from an Excluder gourd #6 with a modified excluder entrance.

Thank you for being observant and noticing the bands.Thank you again for reporting your observation here on the Forum. I am sure that many other banded birds across the country are missed every day. I look forward to visiting your very successful martin colony in the future.

Congratulations on your very successful martin colony after a long wait for your first martins. You have done a great job to grow it into quite a colony in a relatively short time.Enjoy them and pay it forward for those still waiting for their first martins.

Thanks again.
Ed Svetich
Annie G

Ed, your very welcome and thank you again for taking the time to come visit. Your record keeping blew me away. I will try harder in the future. :roll:
Thanks again for your advice and input. It was fun being able to talk to someone so knowledgeable in the Martin field. I'm glad the Martin was one from your colony. :grin:
Best wishes to you and hope to talk more in the future. Ann :wink:
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

Thanks so much for posting! That's so cool!