Leucistic Martin

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
CurtWelling

Just discovered one at my colony in Versailles KY. My colony is 16 years old and I typically have 65 or so pairs.

I have a crappy cell phone pic but I'm charging up my good camera, will try and get a good picture tomorrow.

About how many are reported every year? Anybody know? I have not been monitoring the forum very closely lately.
Curt Welling
CurtWelling

Not satisfied with these photos but the best I have so far.
crop 4.jpg
(181.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
crop 3.jpg
crop 3.jpg (119.64 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
crop 2.jpg
(240.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
crop 1.jpg
crop 1.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Curt Welling
CurtWelling

One more, just relearning how to put photos up here.
Attachments
crop 2.jpg
(240.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Curt Welling
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Red eye? Is that just the photo? If you did not know he was a Martin, the casual observer would think it was another bird. Good photos.
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
klcretired

Hi Curt,
It's Kenny Crawford from over here in Grand Prairie Texas, don't know if you remember but several years ago I bought some HZ Troyers from you, I still have them , modified them a little and added tunnels and 2 1/2" 90 Degree elbo's for ventilation to each one.
In answer for your question about Leucistic Martin's , here on this site for years there have been past posts about them from our members .
you may go up to the search tab and type in Leucistic Martin to see all the past post & pictures about them.
hope you are doing ok with your colony , I have been really battling Hawks this last couple of Years , I am trying to do something about it to help protect my martins...it is a never ending Battle......
Good luck this year , I wish you many many Martins
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
TheSmiths
Martin Colony History:

Tried to attract PMs since 2004; began a more ernest attempt in 2014.

2018 — 3 pairs: 1 ASY pair & 1 SY pair in the Trio; 1 SY pair in a supergourd on the gourd multi-rack.

2019 — 6 pairs

2020 — In progress

Current housing consists of two modified Trio M12Ks at 20' and a round gourd rack at 20'.

We've also provided housing for bluebirds, Carolina wrens, house wrens, Carolina chickadees, tufted titmice, great-crested flycatchers and northern flickers for ~15 years.

Cool. :)