New House Design

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
BobbyG
Martin Colony History: 10 years

I built these new houses after seeing ( Steve Kroenke ) colony and reading his posts how gourds have a better percentage of success so I started thinking and built a 6x6x12inch deep house and have a 4 inch porch and designed this house last year I put one up mid summer and the birds were going in and out so I took a chance and made a 12 plex for this year and the birds are adjusting just fine so I just finished cutting up 60 of them and each year I am going to swap out my other houses and put these 12 plexes up. So far I have so many birds I cant count them yet I think it between 40 and 50 I am pretty sure its all subs.
Attachments
new4.jpg
(413.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
new3.jpg
(399.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
new2.jpg
(375.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
new1.jpg
new1.jpg (117.08 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Glynn B - LA

Those are very professional looking houses, beautiful design, you should be proud. Do you work with metal by trade?

I have a couple questions about your construction with no criticism in mind.

Did you place any insulation under the roof/in the attic? I do notice the holes for venting. Aluminum becomes a hot box during summer heat.

Are you using nesting trays? I don't see any drainage holes for blowing rain to escape. Prolonged wet nest will be death for the young martins.

Sorry for the questions. I want the same as you, the best housing we can afford for the birds we love.

Glynn
2019 26 pair 116 fledged
2018 20 pair 76 fledged
2017 19 pair 82 fledged
2016 13 pair 48 fledged
2015 3 pair 13 fledged
2014 1 pair 4 fledged
2013 2 pair 6 fledged
2012 0 pair
2011 0 pair

I don’t have the perfect site. One open flyway with trees within 80 ft. I do have a small pond they utilize during the heat of Summer. (2017) HEAVY HAWK PREDATION
BobbyG

They arent sealed on the bottom theres a wheep hole in the back on each side and where the sides attatch to the floor its 2 seperate pieces so water can drain on the sides just 4 pop rivets on each side so it leaves a small crack. Theres no lets say ceiling so its kind of like a gable roof with a cathedral ceiling the air should flow from the sides and out the gable ends and at each end there is about 3/4" x 1/4" air gap front and back where it slides onto the 1/2" alum rods. I tried some 1/2" pink starofoam but i had a problem with the birds moving them and they couldnt get in so i scrapped the idea i think its when they tried to make a bowl in the material. I am a sheetmetal worker for the past 34 years.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Just wondering how do you open them to do nest checks, change nests, clean them out?

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
RC Moser

Neat, I'm big fan of L shaped entries or have internal nest tray baffle blocking the nest chamber or both. When I had PM colony all my straight through entries had nest baffle so hawks or owls couldn't see the nest chamber. IMO That's what great about L shaped entries built in hawk and owl guards.
BobbyG

ToyinPA wrote:Just wondering how do you open them to do nest checks, change nests, clean them out?

Toy in PA
I have 2 tie straps hold the the door on i had screws in my other houses and it takes to long to unscrew each one. this way i just snip the tie strap off and put a new one on look closely you can see them mid way the door on each side
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

BobbyG wrote:
ToyinPA wrote:Just wondering how do you open them to do nest checks, change nests, clean them out?

Toy in PA
I have 2 tie straps hold the the door on i had screws in my other houses and it takes to long to unscrew each one. this way i just snip the tie strap off and put a new one on look closely you can see them mid way the door on each side
Seems like you'll be going thru a lot of zip ties. Can you add hinges/eye & hook closure?

Your houses look nice. I'd keep an eye on the Martins & if they are hanging out due to heat you may need to add more ventilation.

Best wishes for a great season.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
BobbyG

I thought about hinge and lock but its to much of a pain its easier just snip the ties and move on. I don't have time to do nest checks every week its usually every other week. And work supplied me with all the zip ties that I will need for years to come.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

I really like the extended over head roofs and larger porches. If I expand my own colony in the future I feel this new style will be a warm welcome for the martins. Thanks for posting these great pics.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.