OMG, OMG, OMG It just happened to me!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

I've read about starlings breaching SREHs. But never considered that I would see it.
Just trapped one in a TVG with a Conley SREH.
Well that just has me very concerned for the safety of my [hopefully] fledgling colony. Ok....I'm just plain scared.
Is this just a small starling or can this happen again? I shutter to think if there had been a PM in the gourd at the time... or a female incubating her eggs.
Do I try to modify the entrance before the PM get here?
What are the chances of this happening again?
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Sorry to hear that Okie! I think they raise the porch to 1/8" from the bottom of the opening! Starlings have long legs and martins have short legs! So you need to raise the porch! I'm sure someone has a picture or instructions on how to do this! Goodluck! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Glynn B - LA

The easiest thing that anyone with SREH entrances can do to keep interested starlings eliminated is to offer a round hole nest box trap or repeating trap. Starlings can't resist a big round hole. You will catch every one that visits your colony. It works! I don't even worry about starlings anymore. Before your martins expected arrival date ( preferably no closer than one week ) you can offer a round hole gourd with a tunnel trap.

If it's to close to your martins arrival or they are here, just set the trap up away from your colony close to a building or tree. Mine is closer than 100 ft.
2019 26 pair 116 fledged
2018 20 pair 76 fledged
2017 19 pair 82 fledged
2016 13 pair 48 fledged
2015 3 pair 13 fledged
2014 1 pair 4 fledged
2013 2 pair 6 fledged
2012 0 pair
2011 0 pair

I don’t have the perfect site. One open flyway with trees within 80 ft. I do have a small pond they utilize during the heat of Summer. (2017) HEAVY HAWK PREDATION
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them

Thanks Sharon. Why would they sell something that needs to be adapted in order to work? I hate that. I'm not a fixer upper person. Don't know what I'm going to do. Probably hire sa handyman to fix this. I'm really upset with Troyers.

Glynn. I have 2 round hole traps in the Trio & 2 round hole Van Ert traps. But this guy wanted to check out the gourd. Go figure. I'm just glad I had a trap set in the gourd or I would not have known of the breech until it was too late.
Wish someone besides me would start eliminating the pest birds. I'm sick of them.

Have not seen a Martin yet.
Okie
PMCA member
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
Okie

I just searched Conley Conlley & raising Porch. On this forum & got no results.
I know this has been discussed before but did not find the discussions.
Okie
PMCA member
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Search for "Lewis Modification of Conley II".
You are interested in Troyer Vertical Gourd porch elevation which applies more to the Lewis Modification of Conley II entrances.
http://purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic ... on#p259397
Scroll down to the posts by Mary "MamaBruff" where she shows a Troyer Vertical Gourd with a porch elevator installed.
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

I am now loosing count of how many successful Lewis Mods that I am responsible for. At this point over 100. With the full Lewis Modification, no starling breaches and no problem for the purple martins.
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Okie

Mark thank you. I knew it was here, just have to get the right wording.

BTW Glenn I forgot to mention the Melcher Starling house. So I have 5 choices for the starlings & I have to find a picky one, or maybe an acrobatic one. ☹️
Okie
PMCA member
John Miller

As you trapped the starling, you may have things under control.

I am expanding my use of Troyer gourds this year. I have had four for couple of years at a public site with a "partial" Lewis modification. I just used the wing protector, not raising the flooring. So far so good. Adding more like this for the coming season. I know if you get the flooring too high, martins cannot enter either...so be careful and examine Lewis' instructions carefully.

One thing I have learned. It takes several seasons sometimes to really test an entrance. If you have one that's only moderately restrictively, you may get by for several seasons; then starlings learn to enter. But as said, if one can offer a round hole trap, starlings probably will go there first.

John
4th Gen Martin Fan

I agree with Glynn that elimination of European Starlings is an excellent idea. I am also glad that some areas do not have the starling problem that is epidemic in the Southeast US. In this area thousands of starlings live and thrive in each community. The local starlings include the small variety that can breach a standard crescent and Conley II entrance.
I feel confident that if Andy Troyer had to cope with the starlings in this area, the Conley II entrance on Troyer products would be modified.
Mr. Lewis has contacted the Troyer family and shared his Lewis Modification to Conley II entrances without any financial obligations. He is only interested in helping landlords overcome the dangers of starlings breaching Conley II SREH.
I agree with John Miller that the porch elevators for Conley II entrances must be done correctly.
Okie, how many Troyer Gourds with Conley II entrances do you have?
Mark.
Attachments
Troyer Vertical Gourd Lewis Mod.jpg
Troyer Vertical Gourd Lewis Mod.jpg (132.48 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Okie

Thanks Mark, it's good to know Troyers have been contacted. I am going to call them tomorrow.
I have a 12 rack but only got 6 TVG. Anxiously awaiting arrival of their first occupants. Hopefully SY from nearby colonies. If successful in attracting then plan was to get 6 THG to complete the rack
I checked out the link to previous thread & your pic. The modification looks smooth & slick as opposed to the original ribbed porch. I was wondering if one of the porches which are ribbed & sold separately to add to a porchless gourd would work.
Otherwise where would one purchase that modification?
It's disconcerting that they sell an entrance so easily breeched. I have watched starlings look into the crescent on my S&K barn which I use to trap sparrows. They just look but never attempt to enter. Looks like the crescent is more effective than the Conley.
I was also wondering if simply putting on the wing entrapment guard alone would work? What do you think?
Thanks for your help guys.
Okie
PMCA member
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Okie I'm just saying what I would do if I had this problem! I would put the wing entrapment on because then your preventing two things from happening! Number 1 is starlings can't get in and the martins can fight and fuss all they want and no wing entrapment! A slick floor needs some traction! Ok just my opinion! Good luck! :)
Lewis

Okie, I'm sorry you are having this problem with starlings. Using the wing guards (WEP") may be your best bet for now seeing that it is working for John. I would caution you on using sign board on the newer Troyer gourds with the Conley II in that the porch is only 1/8 in. below entrance. The sign board I measured was 3/16 in. thick and blocks the entrance. I have read where some have been able to make it work by sanding or compressing the corrugation. I use 1/8 in. PolyMax (HDPE) which is available from FarmTek.com ( I assume this is OK since they don't sell martin supplies). The only problem is that it only comes in 4 ft. by 8 ft. sheets which is more than most can use. I used some leftover material I had on hand to make my modification. I think Mark buys his HDPE from another supplier. Like he said he has made over 100 modifications. The first sreh I modified with this method was a crescent that starlings were able to enter. All sreh's are advertised as starling resistant. None say they are starling proof. I have been using my modification for over 6 years with no starlings being able to enter, however I have seen some starlings that were so small I think they could breach the modification. I still trap some with the Nest Box Trap sold by PMCA.

Lewis
Spring Garden Keeper
4th Gen Martin Fan

You need to objectively test the various degrees of Conley II SREH Modifications.
One, Slick Porch Elevators only and Two, Slick Porch Elevators AND PMCA Wing Entrapment Protectors.
#1 will be partial Lewis Mod and #2 will be full Lewis Mod.
If you contact me, I believe we can work out a means for you to get the materials you need.
John Miller is testing the PMCA Wing Entrapment Protectors only. He will very objective and honest in its evaluation. I have learned so much from John that I hope he knows how much I respect him.
Mark.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

Okie, terribly sorry to hear about this. I have never had any starlings enter as far as I know. Hope that stops. :-(
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

I had the same experience with that entrance. I bought some plastic, honeycombed interior, slick, white signboard. Cheap. I measured and cut sections that fit exactly on the ribbed porches. The top of the signboard is level with the bottom of the entrance shot. Of course that means it was covering the dip in the entrance. Using a small rat tail file I mashed down the honeycombed signboard at that dip so it was below the dip. I glued some and screwed some down with sheet metal screws. My martins got in and successfully nested while the starlings gave up. It is important that the little dip be left open. The rat tail file worked well for smashing the signboard down and one can also file the signboard a bit at the dip. Do not file the plastic entrance. Easy project. I did it last Spring one afternoon when my martins were off feeding. Worked for me.
4th Gen Martin Fan

Carlton,
I like your instructions for using Coroplast to make porch elevators for Conley II entrances on Troyer gourds.
The instructions outline the requirements to maintain the critical 1 3/16" height incorporated into the dip of the Conley II entrance.
Do you have any issues with the Coroplast "springing back" and losing the trough that you have mashed with the rat tail file?
Does the Coroplast ever warp and obstruct the dip?
Which way did you orient the corrugations, front to back or side to side?

The first porch elevators that I made were out of 1/8" PVC sheet that was not UV protected. They deteriorated, mildewed, and warped so now I use only 1/8" HDPE sheet as Lewis originally recommended. I have never had any warping problems with the HDPE and it seems to last a long time in spite of UV exposure.

One thing that the PMCA wing entrapment protectors (WEP) do in the full Lewis Mod is hold down the HDPE porch elevators from ever raising up along the edge against the Conley II face plate.
With the full Lewis Mod, I always recommend that the porch elevators be installed first and then the WEP installed second. That way the WEP can be installed to push down on the porch elevator.
Mark.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

Last year was the first year I ever raised the porches with the signboard. I did it on all 12 TVG's last March after starlings were spotted slipping in. I did not have any problem with the signboard springing back but I really mashed it down and even filed the signboard a speck there in the trough in front of the dip. I stored the gourds from Sept through January. The signboard still looks fine with no obstruction of the entrance or dip. It went through South Florida heat and heavy summer deluges with no problem.

I tried adding the wing entrapment guards touching my signboard but I got concerned in February when my ASY male, from last year, could apparently not get into any of my gourds. He REALLY TRIED but could not. I removed the wing entrapment guards on 8 of the gourds and he, and now three other pairs, were able to get in with no trouble. On the other 4 gourds I removed the signboard and just left the inverted wing entrapment guards over the ribbed porch but SO FAR I have not seen any martins try to enter those. I had those on the bottom "row" though and so far all three pairs chose the top "row" of gourds. Could just be the higher gourds are preferred. I have seen numerous starlings try to get in all 12 gourds and none have been able to be it raised porches OR ribbed porches with the wing entrapment guards.

I do not remember the orientation of the celled signboard. It may have been both directions as I paid no attention.
Carlton

Okie wrote:Thanks Sharon. Why would they sell something that needs to be adapted in order to work? I hate that. I'm not a fixer upper person. Don't know what I'm going to do. Probably hire sa handyman to fix this. I'm really upset with Troyers.

Glynn. I have 2 round hole traps in the Trio & 2 round hole Van Ert traps. But this guy wanted to check out the gourd. Go figure. I'm just glad I had a trap set in the gourd or I would not have known of the breech until it was too late.
Wish someone besides me would start eliminating the pest birds. I'm sick of them.

Have not seen a Martin yet.

I guess the majority of people have not yet had a problem with the Conley II but I have had the starling breeches now for a few years at different sites. My favorite entrance is the one that Troyer used to use, the Modified Excluder, with the porch raised to the bottom of that entrance. I never had a starling problem with that Modified Excluder entrance. Martins seemed to zip right in and out at my sites.

For many people it is a lot of work to modify the Conley II's and the person may not be physically able to do the project. Also, there is an added cost purchasing materials for the project.

I like the Conley II's BUT if the starlings are starting to get in, over a fairly large geographic area then it is time to change. Also, sometimes trapping or shooting are not practical as many people have satellite sites for their martins where they are not there every day to check the traps and where it is illegal to shoot.
taxidermy lady

I second that Carlton! Modifications are no good if it's not done exact! It seems there's always something! :???: