Questions before ordering housing

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Has anyone had experience with the S&K Bio Eleven Plus gourds with the black lining & vent cap????
Does it really keep it from getting toooo hot inside gourd? Oklahoma is HOT
Have been debating that or Troyer Vertical or Super Gourds
I have been considering a 3" square gourd rack pole thinking it would be more resistant to Oklahoma's wind. Anyone feel 2" square pole would be just as stable. 3" seems to be only available with 24 rack which I think is too many for my small lot. I am considering 4 to 6 gourds next year & maybe add up to 12 at most.
Also definitely want a winch with steel cable.
I am ready to order so I can get this gourd rack up for inspection before migration. So I have to make a decision very soon.
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
warbird

I would check out the 12 ,and only put 6 gourds on or what ever. they put up to 18 on a 2 "
Last edited by warbird on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe
2015 8 pair
2016 35 pair
2017 55 pair
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

Troyer vertical gourds are great. The S&K products in my opinion aren't anything special. My neighbor has some S&K gourds and the porches break off easily it seams. Also, some of the pop off caps pop off really hard.
Forum Admin
Site Admin

For newer forum members who may not have read the policy on shopping threads, etc, please see: https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... f=2&t=5950

We don't allow links to commercial sites, and ask people not to post where to buy questions - discussion of all types of products is fine, just not sales info.
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them

Thanks I wasn't sure where the line was drawn.
Okie
PMCA member
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
Okie

marcus wrote:Troyer vertical gourds are great. The S&K products in my opinion aren't anything special. My neighbor has some S&K gourds and the porches break off easily it seams. Also, some of the pop off caps pop off really hard.
Thanks Marcus That is what I wanted. I know everyone has their opinions.

And Warbird I am leaning toward the 12 Thanks
Okie
PMCA member
James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

I have had Super Gourds for over 15 years and they still look like New. I have never had young jump due to heat or have I every found any dead. In South Florida it gets HOT and I have never mod them with extra vent holes. Yes they may cost a little more, but they last I think a life time.
PMCA MEMBER
~Ray~Gingerich

Okie, I don't think the inside wall on the bo11 is that effective because it's not a sealed off air space, I have about 2 dozen and find the lids are not very user friendly during nest checks, have had to repaint them too. they do seem to get a few more 6 egg nests than some of my other gourds though.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
Okie

Thanks you all. I think I have made my decision. In fact I ordered this AM
Love to have everyone's experiences, that helps.
Good luck to everyone this season
Personally I am more than happy with my 6 fledging & martins flying everywhere. Can't peel myself away from my seat on the porch! :wink:
Okie
PMCA member
warbird

Now okie you can't leave us like that lol what did you go with?
joe
2015 8 pair
2016 35 pair
2017 55 pair
Okie

I KNEW someone would ask that. A 12 gourd rack with just 6 vertical Troyer gourds. I'll see what how many come next year then plan to add the other 6 gourds later. Don't know if those will be vertical or horizontal. I chose the 12 as I have a very small lot with several houses very close. Don't plan to expand beyond that.
Plan on getting this set up in a couple of weeks so the local fledglings will be able to inspect it & make their plans for next year :P
Decided against the Bo 11 as I tend to agree with the opinions. I wanted top quality to begin with so it will last the rest of my life [as short as that could be] and I don't have to hire someone to do replacement or repairs.
Question: Should I pre nest these gourds for inspections????
Thanks for your interest in my post Warbird
Okie
PMCA member
jkudywoods

Thanks for sharing the information.
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

Okie,
I probably would pre-nest. It can't hurt anything and might help some. I had 100% occupancy rate in all my martin houses this year and in the one gourd that fledged young, there were fresh green leaves. I don't know if that means someone is going to have a nest or not. Also, lots of subbie males are laying claim to gourds that have fledged young. Will they still nest or not? Last night a subbie pair were enjoying a gourd (sitting on the porch and singing a bit) and then the ASY pair and their young chased them off and spent the night in there. -Marcus
Okie

Thanks Marcus
I think I will put some material in them, like you said it will not hurt. I have 2 SY males kind of claiming the house now that everyone is in the air except at night. The ASY male chases them off when he comes back.
Maybe I will get the gourd rack next week & have it up the next week for those SY males to claim.
One thing you all did not tell me is they stick around after they fledge. Spend most of day away but sometimes I see them practicing flying above the house & they do spend the night in the house & are here in the AM. So I still get to enjoy them especially the vocals as they fly.

Do you know about the online nest check forms? I do not see a submit button. So all I have to do is complete the form & Assoc will pick it up?
Thanks
Okie
PMCA member
Okie

BTW I found a newly hatched dead pink bird on ground today with it's head missing. If I had not been following the martins with nest checks I would probably think it was a martin. But I saw a sparrow in the robin's nest in the pear tree so I think it was a robin baby.
It really is beneficial to do those nest checks, you get a better sense of what is going on in the bird world.
Okie
PMCA member
marcus

If you want to learn quite a lot about what fledglings do, go to the third page and it's the thread Roosting Behavior of Fledgling Martins by Steve Kroenke. Also are you going to be at the Tulsa roost at one of the parties? I'm not certain if I will be able to go but if it works out I would enjoy meeting you there.
Okie

Marcus, I know NOTHING about a Tulsa Roost party. Might go if I did. Info please
I am truly enjoying all the activity around the house now that the fledglings are practicing flying & catching insects.
BTW Since the last 2 fledged the male has quit dive bombing! The guess was right that he was protecting the yet to fledge babies on the porch.
I'd love to meet you too. It would be great to put a face to these new friends!
And thanks for the tip on fledglings by Steve. His knowledge is awesome & very scientific too.
Okie
PMCA member
Forum Admin
Site Admin

Tulsa Audubon roost events are scheduled for Jul 23 and Aug 6 - see events list here: http://www.tulsaaudubon.org/
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.
Okie

THANK YOU
Okie
PMCA member
marcus

They estimate it to be 100,000 Purple Martins I believe. We visited a small roost in Carthage, MO last year. It was well worth the time.