Friend or Foe

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DavidJ
Martin Colony History: 2016 21 pair 87 eggs

Raven they have a court order saying I have to take it down because of bird fecal matter in their yard makeing it uninhabitable with a risk of disease. I have to appear in court on February 15 to find out if I get to put it back up or if they win the lawsuit possibly pay a fine and keep it down. They are claiming that I have hundreds and hundreds of birds which I don't and haven't. I might have if I counted right 21 pair. So that is 42 birds. I can't say a lot on n a public forum until this lawsuit is over. But they better hope they win because there is going to be appeals if needed and one hell of a harassment suit!!! Including a loss of babie martins if it comes to that! I don't want to give the enemy any info. Thank you for your comment!!!
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

Doesn't anyone put their car in the garage anymore? 40 grand for a vehicle and can't get it the garage because it's all cluttered with junk. I've had 3 kids. They almost never want to go outside and play anything. It's all video games, computers, and cell phones. Her kids probably go outside 2 or 3 times a year. Of course it might be covered in poop. She saw the bird poop, saw your martin pole, and then she had an "aha" moment.
Watch her yard for the next black bird swarm/invasion. It wont take long. Take a picture of it and send it to her. Or better yet, take a video. If she sees a picture/video of a hundred blackbirds perched in her yard, she might get a clue.
Take a cell phone photo of every HOSP that you kill. Your cell phone will time and date stamp it also. You might need to document this activity to law enforcement later. Protect yourself. Good luck sir.
Why do Americans only flee blue states? Why don't Americans flee red states?
Ravens5281
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member:
Name: Stu Silver III
Begin trying to start a Colony since 2014
Had 2 Martins Visitors stop by (2014)
(2015) 2 Martins Visitors passed through
(2016) 35 Days that Martins Visitors/Stopped by but didn't nest

Yea & even if its martin poop it's a natural part of life nothing illegal about birds pooping!! & what is 5 minutes out of her life to wash her slide off gezz!!
PMCA Member: From Seymour, Indiana
Elijah Clark
Martin Colony History: Put up the colony in 2015 and had a mean and nasty fight with the sparrows, yet one pair stayed and five fledged.

If I were you I'd make mosquitoes a very important topic, and that they could spread diseases such as malaria and zika to both parents and children. These are more of a health risk than a miniscule amount of feces, in which the martins prevent such a problem. Hope this helps, good luck in court :grin:
"A good sparrow is a dead sparrow"
2015- 1 pair
2016- 12 pair
2017- 0 pair (predators). Back to square one.
Elijah Clark
Martin Colony History: Put up the colony in 2015 and had a mean and nasty fight with the sparrows, yet one pair stayed and five fledged.

2015- 1 pair
2016- 12 pair
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

I surely would not add more housing. Maybe you could offer to reduce the number of gourds to 12 if your neighbor would accept that number and if he would quit complaining. A small colony can be very enjoyable, I know, I started with a small colony and really enjoyed them. I have had a lot of martins for a long time, and I still do not like a lot of poop on our vehicles, so we always park our vehicles in the garage. But it would be best to try to get along with the neighbors. An upset neighbor could become a much larger problem than you can imagine.
Last edited by Emil Pampell-Tx on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
DavidJ

Elijah Thanks for your reply! is the pic with the tape measure in it a fecal sac from a Martin?
Elijah Clark

Haven't found a picture of a martin fecal sack yet, though I'm still looking, the picture is of dove feces in which this may be the problem your neighbors are experiencing. My grandparents used to live in New Braunfels and their car would get covered in dove feces frequently due to the numerous amount of white-winged and mourning doves in the area. I'll try to find a pic of a martin fecal sack before midnight :grin:
2015- 1 pair
2016- 12 pair
Elijah Clark

Found a picture of a fecal sac on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64T3dS9YoXY

It will appear at 3:28 as a small white dot to the left of the nestlings.
2015- 1 pair
2016- 12 pair
Tom Teague

Maybe you could try what I did. Five years ago when I first put up my mini castle and Gourd rack my neighbor wondered what tha heck I was doing. I told him and of course he had never seen a pm at the time. After a couple years after watching mine i asked him if he would like a house of his own. I just happened to have an extra house so we put it up in his yard ... he got two pair the first year. Now he has 2 houses and 4 gourds. And now of course he is hooked. We now have 30 cavities.

Tom
warbird

Can't wait to hear how this goes. I bet you get to put your housing back up
joe
2015 8 pair
2016 35 pair
2017 55 pair
2018 57 pair
2019 58 pair
2020 58 pair
DavidJ

I win the case!!! And when they showed their evidence they really had nothing to support their claims but did admit to they thought the bird house was an eyesore. Well if I could figure out how to post a pic you would see my Martin house proudly erected!!! But.... They are back to the screeching noise and the decoys are still there. Now will I have any Martin's. If someone can tell me how to post a pic or a video. Please!!! But be detailed and specific or I won't get it... Thanks!!!
Tom Teague

Congrats. Glad to hear that. Glad we don't have neighbors like that.

Tom
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

David, your picture size may be too large. Reduce the size of the photo.

At the bottom of this answer area, click on "attachments" and then on "add files". Then select your reduced size photo

Hope that this helps
Attachments
IMG_1325 (440x330).jpg
IMG_1325 (440x330).jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Ravens5281
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member:

Haha told ya there's nothing they can do & to bad they will just have to the the other way!! & I use the Photobucket app & just upload ur pic then click on it then click on the i that has a circle around it at the bottom left & then click on the IMG link at the bottom of that page & it will say u copied it then just paste to the form & ur good!!
PMCA Member: From Seymour, Indiana
DavidJ

Tom Teague wrote:Maybe you could try what I did. Five years ago when I first put up my mini castle and Gourd rack my neighbor wondered what tha heck I was doing. I told him and of course he had never seen a pm at the time. After a couple years after watching mine i asked him if he would like a house of his own. I just happened to have an extra house so we put it up in his yard ... he got two pair the first year. Now he has 2 houses and 4 gourds. And now of course he is hooked. We now have 30 cavities.

Tom
Lol! Tom thanks! But I think if they see me coming their way they are calling the police!!! And I do have a house here with pole and ready to go somewhere!!! But it was a gift from my son so it has to stay with me but if buying them a house would stop the predatory bird noise that has been playing since I won the case today at 12:30 noon I would gladly do it!!!
DavidJ

Is there a way to post a video? I am wanting to post the vid of the made today of the harassment. Here is a pic of my house with some of the decoys in the background until I figure out how to post a vid. It can be seen on the Facebook PMCS
DavidJ

Well more practice needed...
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Use photobucket! It's very easy and no downsizing needed!
Start a photo bucket account
Select your photo
To the right of your photo it says img
Click img and select all and then copy
Come back to PMCA forum and type your post and copy picture on the post
Review your post to see if image downloaded!
Good luck!!! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

This is really a sad situation and unfortunately it is also a "no win" situation for both parties involved. With each person trying to outwit the other, it only creates additional problems and heightened resentment to each other.
I feel your best course of action is to meet with your neighbor and try to come to some sort of agreement to resolve the problem. Downsizing your colony would be the most likely resolution.
Best of luck to you.
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged