Small Colony Update

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

Beautiful pictures, and a nice report. Between your pictures and DebA's feeding video on Facebook, my spirits are lifted on this gray day. Keep up the good work!
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Chuck4 My ID skills are almost non existent. Can't quite figure out if the pic of the 2 females on the perch are SY or ASY. I can see some dark spots on the undertail but would still conclude they are SY. Anybody?
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

Hello all,

Well my martin season is winding down. I am pleased to say it has been a banner season here. I ended up with 60 nestling/fledglings this year, and I also had no vacancies, with twelve nesting pairs of adults. There are 16 nestlings left to fledge. It was a wonderful season. I suspect my birds will have departed completey by the first week of July. I am kind of sad too that the season is nearly ended here, but pleased it has been a successful one for the martins! I will post some new shots later on. 8) I am going to expand for next season too. :grin:
PMCA Member
_____
Foxie

Great going just call it Chuck's Productions. have continued enjoyment and fun thanks for including us etc. BJ (Foxie)
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

Foxie wrote:Great going just call it Chuck's Productions. have continued enjoyment and fun thanks for including us etc. BJ (Foxie)

Thanks Foxie! Yes, it was a good year around here for the residents at my housing! I think they will be gone within two weeks though.
PMCA Member
_____
Matt F.

Great report and congrats on a great season Chuck!
I can't wait to see more of your spectacular photographs!
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Matt F. wrote:I can't wait to see more of your spectacular photographs!
ME TOOOO
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

You had a great season! Thanks for the beautiful photos you post! Good luck next year Chuck! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Chuck4

taxidermy lady wrote:You had a great season! Thanks for the beautiful photos you post! Good luck next year Chuck! :)

Thanks, Sharon! Yeah, all of mine have departed for the year. I miss them already. It seems like most of the martins in my area have moved on too. I have not heard any for a couple of days. It seems like the season started and finished early this year. I am compiling some photos for a little slide show that I will post soon.
PMCA Member
_____