Disappointed

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DelmaWhisenhunt

I am so disappointed in the number of martins this year. I just knew from the count last season that surely a good number would return
this year but that isn't the case. Can vouch that I see more sparrows, no shortage on those dudes. Guess the thing for me to do is be thankful for the few martins that are here. In observing a couple of neighborhood martin houses the same luck seems to be with them as well. Will be tuning in to the successful stories that some of you are experiencing and must say, I am happy for you. For the hard luck stories, I feel your agony and disappointment.
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover
mickey53

I feel your disappointment, we had a houseful of martins last year but something went wrong in our area of Ontario and got no babies fledged, there were eggs and young but adults all left for some unknown reason, perhaps too cold and no bugs. Fingers are crossed for them this year.
Bulldog1

12 active nests last year, only 6 pairs so far this year. Still hopeful.
PMCA member
2015 - 18 Gourds offered - 12 active nests, 62 eggs, 51 fledged
2014 - 18 gourds offered - 12 active nests, 52 eggs, 48 fledged
2013 - 12 gourds offered - 9 pairs, 56 eggs, 52 hatched, 49 fledged
2012 - 12 gourds offered -4 pairs, 20 eggs, 19 fledged
2011 - 6 gourds offered -1 pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged !!!!
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

Hi Delma, I have watched your posts over the years, and know how much you enjoy having coffee with your Martins in the morning. I love that too. Another consistent fact in your posts is the presence of sparrows. I would strongly encourage you to become proactive in their removal for fear of losing your colony that you have waited so long for. No one wants to loose a colony they enjoy so much, you would be helping your friends in a great way.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
rrmartins

We went from sixteen pair to seven. Something happened during the offseason to ours also. Good luck.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
ossnap

Kind of scary to hear that so many people have had declined numbers. Sure makes you wonder...
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Sparrows and starlings have to be eliminated from all purple Martin sights! Somehow, someway! They drive the martins away. Maybe hire someone to do it. Good luck :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
rrmartins

Sparrows and starlings are not the cause in my case, I feed them to the cats. Not sure what has happened.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Sorry RR, I was referring to Delmas site. She needs someone to help her eradicate those darn things. Surely someone in her neighborhood can give her a hand! Good luck! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

keep in mind migration timing varies every season. We just had a late push of ASY adults recently at the public colony. SY's haven't even shown up yet and they are what? 25% of the population.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

All that said.. House Sparrows do eventually root out martins... Over the course of 20 years the Parsons public colony was reduced from 400 pairs to 40 due to the fact that House Sparrows were not controlled. After just 2 seasons of controlling the pop is back to 120.. with probably 180 by the end of this season.
Trishy
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 2009 with 2 pair.
Currently I have 3 gourd racks with 24 gourds. One gourd rack will be for sy arrivals only.
Bo Eleven gourds 20

I am in the same boat as the rest of you. I had14 successful asy pair last year, plus 2 sy pair. The last 2 years the asy's have all returned by now. I currently have 2 pair. I should see some sy's yet, but I am very disappointed in my numbers so far. I know there were several hundred that died in heavy rains down south last summer, and fear that may be case. I have no sparrows or starlings, so I know that isn't the problem. I have predator guards and owl cages around my gourds. I pray they just got hung up some where along the way, and will return, but I am doubtful. I am thankful for the 2 pair I have though.
Trish
1BirdmanEye
Martin Colony History: First nesting pair in 1995.

My site has been active since 1995,and the returning martins have been arriving on a close timely basis year after year except last year they were really late,this year haven't even heard a Martin let lone have one arrive,ya disapointed doesn't describe how I'm felling .
Trishy
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 2009 with 2 pair.
Currently I have 3 gourd racks with 24 gourds. One gourd rack will be for sy arrivals only.
Bo Eleven gourds 20

1BirdmanEye, I am sorry you have not seen any as of yet. It is devastating and very sad. I have hope that some of yours will show up. I just don't understand it. Last year I had so many asy's here that some had to move on as I didn't have room for them all. This year a female was my first arrival. She hung around 4 days until a male finally came in. I didn't know if she would stay or not. Like I said in my earlier post, I am very grateful for the 2 pair that I have, but it is very difficult not knowing what happened to the rest of them. I wish you the best of luck, and remember the sy's have yet to return.
Trish
pmlover

so sorry delma kill every sparrow and starling and shoo out any bbs andtree swallows which u should have houses for them.
put mud on your unused houses and especially gourds. Once I did this I went from hardly nothing to a large colony
good luck and God bless
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
DelmaWhisenhunt

My spirits are a bit higher, have been seeing more martins coming in to check out the motel and glad to see the reminder of putting mud on the houses. Yesterday a friend cleaned out one of the houses and had only one sparrow nest, so will ask him to take the house down so I can decorate it with mud and maybe a few pine needles. I did get my wire sparrow trap out and set, but they pay it no mind, of course its only been out one day. Most times I have been pretty successful with the trap. I am hoping for better response soon, cause its ruining my coffee time on the front porch with the rocking chair and a front row seat,.
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Just Keep Trapping
What kind of trap do you have? I have Blaine's and it really helps to have one inside as an attractor. Caught 6 yesterday Yeah
Okie
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
DelmaWhisenhunt

For my friend that posted the message about using mud, please tell me to what extent. We put mud inside each nest and on the porches today and the sparrows keep coming like they are thinking what is a little mud. I would like to get the martins interested in that house since it is the main one in my front yard. Any additional info would be appreciated.
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

DelmaWhisenhunt wrote:For my friend that posted the message about using mud, please tell me to what extent. We put mud inside each nest and on the porches today and the sparrows keep coming like they are thinking what is a little mud. I would like to get the martins interested in that house since it is the main one in my front yard. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Mud isn't needed, especially if you have a few martins allready.