Remember Radar Image of Roost?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Remember Radar Image of Roost?

Postby Laverne » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:42 am

Do any of you recall how to view a radar image of a specific location at a specific time?

I'd like to see the morning dispersal of the Sharpstown Roost on radar - - - and in person.
Sincerely,
Laverne

Dale Hrncirik

Postby Dale Hrncirik » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:02 am

Laverne,

Give this a try. Use either the short range base reflectivity loop or composite loop. The loop is only an hour or so, so you will need to check it out around 6:15am to ~ 7:30am if I recall. This is pretty nifty to see. You can also watch the bats as they leave bracken cave(near San Antonio) in the evenings at dusk. The martins return trip to their roost doesn't make the classic doughnut shaped radar echo that can easily be seen every morning.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p ... khgx.shtml

Dale

Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Postby Laverne » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:06 pm

Thanks, Dale.

I've been trying to tell you Thank You for over an hour. I couldn't post anything for a while. Mr. Kramer fixed it for me - us ...

I had a question. Can you zoom this radar in any closer? At this distance, I'm afraid the roost will be too tiny to see...
Sincerely,
Laverne

Dale Hrncirik

Postby Dale Hrncirik » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:31 pm

Laverne,

I don't know to zoom it in closer but it shouldn't be necessary. You can zoom out by selecting long range and see many martin roosts across the state as the birds fly out in the morning. You can also use the arrows in the top left of the page to move to other adjacent radar sites.

Here's a link to the Intellicast radar. It may give you more of a close-up. I've never tried using this one to watch the bird echoes because it lacks the available navigation that comes with the NOAA radar.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLoca ... odnav=none

Enjoy,
Dale

Laverne

Postby Laverne » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:54 pm

ok, Dale - thanks a bunch, again...

I can't wait to try it tomorrow morning!
Sincerely,
Laverne

Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:17 pm

oops!
Last edited by Emil Pampell-Tx on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:19 pm

Laverne, here is a local radar map that I often use

http://www.click2weather.com/wxmappopup ... etail.html

I do not remember but you may need to register with Channel 2 to get this view. This is the SW view, you have several choices (click on the upper right hand block)
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Laverne

Postby Laverne » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:25 pm

Thank you, Emil.

That looks like a great weather radar map. But, I don't think it will show the warm bodies of the Purple Martins as they leave the roost in the mornings.

Have you tried it before? Does it work?
Sincerely,
Laverne

weather radar spots roosts

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:00 pm

laverne the weather radar works and from decatur we can see almost to knoxville tn about 200 miles away. you just have to get up early about an hour before sunrise but it is worth it.

Laverne

Postby Laverne » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:00 pm

Ok, great - thank you all so much! I will get up in the morning and check it out!!!

I gotta reset my alarm - and I forgot last night...
Sincerely,
Laverne

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”