Spring migration

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DerrickK

We're running about 10c above normal this week in Midwestern Ontario. The snow's all gone. This week has seen the arrival of the blackbirds( red wings, grackles, cowbirds) Imagine the robins and bluebirds are back as well. Killdeers are usually a few days behind-heard before sighted.
Maple syrup is in full flow. Looks like another year has begun. :grin:
DerrickK

This week the robins and killdeers are back in force--lots of tundra swans moving through--supposed to go really cold again next week 2-3c but if we get sun the insects will be moving . :) We had several cardinals at the feeders all winter but they're becoming territorial now and the pair left are trying to drive off the interlopers in my truck and car mirrors--be okay but they dump on the glass .
DerrickK

Turkey vultures returned this week and the tree swallows are making an appearance--pitty them as weather is so unpredictable--supposed to be a high of -6C over the weekend and we've been getting temps. in the mid teens lately. I remember about 25 years ago we had miserable weather in June and it killed most of the swallows--dead ones in every box--one I checked had 11 dead birds. I imagine it was the same for martins but I was not in touch with any colony owners to hear the bad news. :-(
KBoothby
Martin Colony History: 2020: 39 pairs (24 gourds added)
2017: 25 pairs
2013: 7 pairs (12 gourds added)
2011: 1 pair (first year: 14 rm condo/4 gourds)

Hey there fellow Canadian. It's also an exciting time here in balmy southwestern Ontario. Tree Swallows are back, Woodcocks are beeping and whirring at dusk and the frogs and toads are very very vocal. I've seen butterflies about our farm on warm days too (Milbert's Tortoiseshell & Mourning Cloak). Sunday 27th was a glorious day with +20C. Martins have been seen on consecutive days this week at Long Point so I expect them to arrive at our colony real soon - likely ahead of the usual April 11-14 schedule. My housing is up and the sparrow turfing program has begun. Hope you have a great season.
Happy Trails. Kathryn (PMCA Member & Nature Lover)
DerrickK

KBoothby, I was raised on the lake south of Merlin-Martins were always special to me as they were the birthday present I loved most as they seemed to come on my birthday the 11th of April. That was back in the early 50's
Have an interesting nest going up on the edge of a bush down the road--a pair of bald eagles and they're carrying in branches bigger than walking canes--the nest is already the size of a kitchen table--it's a wonder that it hasn't blown down with the winds we've had lately. That tornado that went through a week or so ago hit the driveshed on the next farm.
KBoothby

DerrickK...What a great birthday present! Lucky you. And what a treat to a have a nesting pair of bald eagles so close by. They do make amazing platforms. Would that all engineers were as efficient. Hunkering down now for the dreaded polar vortex and grateful that my Martins are not here yet. I hope a kind landlord south of the border is taking good care of them until they head 'home'. Kathryn
DerrickK

Temps below 0C for the next week and 4"of snow with more to come. Should kill off the tree swallows and killdeers. :-(
KBoothby

-11C last night. Today 5C and sunny. No Martins for me yet, but two other landlords in the area have nursed a single bird each through last night's nasty bite.
GoodiesGale

We are new landlords in Little Egg Harbor NJ having just purchased and installed our Purple Martin House. We currently have the entrances closed for fear of starlings and others initiate nesting before our Purple Martins. We have experienced a cold spell this past week and reviewed the Migration Map which shows April 1st and beyond for South Jersey. When should we open their birdhouse? How much further into April, May and June can we wait. Thank you for any information and help as we are learning. Gale
Insectivore Villa

suggest you send that post as a "new post" or "new topic" back onto the forum, there are so many experienced people there they will be glad to weigh in on the questions you have. If you leave it on this thread alone, there will not be as many responses. Just trying to help you out, and there may be many more landlords in your area that will help you too.
Henry W.
2015, 28 pair, 102 fledged
2016, 39 pair, 154 fledged
2017, 44 pair, 164 fledged
2018, 68 pair, 218 fledged
DerrickK

This weekend saw the arrival of the tree swallows--still no killdeers that were here about a month ago. That two weeks of winter weather must have killed off millions of the poor little things :-(
mickey53

Live in eastern Ontario, just saw one male martin yesterday but house was closed and he didn't stay. Opened up house and immediately our 10 tree swallows are interested. Got 5 boxes setup for them and needed to set box with sparrow door for HS #1, had him in few hours but until the tree swallows settle down, we will leave house closed. Hope we have better year after disasterous 2015, no successful fledlings, worst year in 40 years - cool and no bugs. We just returned from Florida and have gone birding and gotten 67 species in few days. Happy birding.
DerrickK

Finally hearing killdeers--that's a full month since they first showed up only to be killed by our cold weather. Still no barn swallows & the tree swallows aren't as plentiful as most years. The tundra swans are gone--heading for the Artic -- they must have a screw loose because I see there's another cold spell coming. :???:
DerrickK

The barn swallows have finally arrived this week. Three pairs checking out the barns. No sign of martins yet.
DerrickK

Is spring ever coming? This morning -2C and an inch of snow and a 30K wind from the NW.. Must have the insect eating birds confused. Supposed to be up to 20C later in the week. Saw a kingbird sitting on the road yesterday and had to slow down until it moved off the road. :x