Wichita, KS Martin Roost....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Pulled this info off of the Kansas Birding e-mail listserv.

I can't speak for it's accuracy, but stuff on there is generally reliable.

"Found current Roost, tonight, in center of Old Town.Parking area east of Mosley, between 1st & 2nd St. Across the street from Old Town Hotel. Lots of light and protected from the Coopers Hawks."
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

"It was a great show tonight. The trees are in a very good spot, right in front of the Wichita Police Station, in a corner of the parking area of the Mosley Apts.The best area to watch is either the small parking area off Washington (right next to the trees), or Joe’s Bar & Grill courtyard.I will be watching Tues."
Lislou

Last year they were still by Via Christi -- just moved down a bit due to the hospital severely trimming the trees.

Perhaps there is more than one roosting area?

I might go by and check out Via Christi tonight.

LISA
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Thanks for the info Andrew...was wondering if there was one there..seems like there is every year..went and saw it last year, can't remember the street, wasn't at the hospital..my son move to Hutch this spring, so I probably won't go there as much..Wonder how big it is?
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
razman

thanks for the info!! we were just east of Douglas and Washington last nigh just before sunset, and saw 10's of thousands of martins, but weren't sure where they were roosting! last year they were roosting just east of the railroad tracks over by Via Christi Hospital....Rick
2004...notta
2005-2008 lookies
2009...lookies, and a SYM hanging around a bunch
2010...an ASY pair! 5 eggs, 5 babies fledged! yehawwwwwwwwww
2011....still only one nesting pair..extreme heat killed the babies
2012..ASY pair...fledged 4 babies!
2013 notta, few lookie lous
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

Update from sources in Wichita :

"numbers have grown considerably at the roost in Old Town, and now must be up around 30,000 or more birds."