Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
John Balga
Martin Colony History: 2012-69 pairs
2015- 3 pair at new home colony
2016-6 pair at home colony-1 ASY FEMALE banded from Andy Troyer colony
2017-17 pair at home colony
2018-38 pair at home colony
2019-47 pair at home colony

This morning at about 10:30 a.m. a lone tree swallow arrived and checked out a few nesting boxes on my new property. I am starting all over again after moving back from Mississauga,Ontario. Two and half years has gone quickly but there is nothing like seeing that first tree swallow of the season. Good luck to everyone on the forum and I do hope to see martins here in the area in the next few weeks.
Keep the martins flying in Ontario!
KBoothby
Martin Colony History: 2017: 25 pairs
2013: 7 pairs (12 gourds added)
2011: 1 pair (first year: 14 rm condo/4 gourds)

That's great news John. Anxiously waiting here on the southwest edge of Norfolk County. No swallow species as yet. However I was at the Bird Studies Canada HQ in Port Rowan earlier today. One of their experts saw a PM this morning (no, he wasn't joking either.) Put my houses up last evening but have not yet opened the entrance holes. Took down my feeders and hope the starlings and sparrows will exit stage left before the Martins get here.
Good luck this season.
Kathryn
Happy Trails. Kathryn (PMCA Member & Nature Lover)
John Balga

Wow that is interesting to hear that they are in Port Rowan. Some of our OPMA members have a great colony across from the Bird Studies building. I'm wondering whether his martins will be back this week or that this is one from his colony. Did you see any gourd racks up across the way?

I'm glad to hear that you have a colony nearby. The Millers also have a colony of five T 14's and a gourd rack on Oxford Road 13, Norwich Twshp.

They have been hosting martins for decades . I wish you well with your martins this year and look forward to your reports.
John Balga

Congratulations PMCA on a wonderful quarterly update. I just received it today and am looking forward to delving into the new articles from the Disney Worldwide Conservation group, new generation landlords and fire ant exterminators etc.

Every issue is always packed with wonderful information. The new format speaks for itself......just beautiful. Keep up the great work!

:grin:
KBoothby
Martin Colony History: 2017: 25 pairs
2013: 7 pairs (12 gourds added)
2011: 1 pair (first year: 14 rm condo/4 gourds)

Thanks John. Yes I did notice gourds in the area but did not notice any PMs about. BSC has a house on their property. I'm fortunate in having an active colony and good landlord just 7kms North of us. Also, there are other colonies within 15 km. We're doing our part in this neck of the woods!
Happy Trails. Kathryn (PMCA Member & Nature Lover)