PM roost Sharpstown Mall Houston Texas

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

A few photos from last night. Most action between 8:30 and 9:00.

I think I saw some of Emil's birds there :)
Attachments
DSC_6258ab.jpg
DSC_6258ab.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
DSC_6263ab.jpg
DSC_6263ab.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
DSC_6266aa.jpg
DSC_6266aa.jpg (88.68 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
DSC_6270ab.jpg
DSC_6270ab.jpg (89.36 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Ron, those two near the light in the last pic look like mine! We need to get down there to see that, as I have not been there yet. Thanks for the photos
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

The pictures turned out great! Was good seeing other purple martin fans there! We should get a huge group to meet up and have a martin party! I'll bring the wine! LOL :lol:

Lisa
Pearland, TX

lucky you getting to see that! Do the people of Houston have a problem with that many birds in their town? Just wondering. You know how some people are. Thanks for the great photos. Something I probably won't ever see in person. Sue

Ron Jurek, those pictures turned out great. I like the last one. It shows enough detail in the picture that you can tell they are Purple Martins. A lot of people who are not bird enthusiast think it is just a bunch of black birds (starlings) flying around when they are driving near the Sharpstown Mall. There is a similar roost in my town at a Super Walmart parking lot. I am sure those parking lot lights attract insects which in turn become a food source for Purple Martins.

I went ahead and posted your pictures so you can make more room to share more pictures. Keep the pictures coming, they look great. I would like to see someone take some close ups under the trees.

Matt F.

Great photos Ron!
Last edited by Matt F. on Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I visited the roost last Saturday. Kind of funny, I lived in Sharpstown for almost 20 years and never knew it was there. Anyway, I picked up my mother and headed over there about 8:00. Not many birds flying at that time unless you look off in the distance with binoculars. Over the next 20 minutes they kept getting closer. Just before 8:30 they started pouring in all the way past dark, after 9:00. You could still see them coming in past the parking lot lights. It was a tremendous sight. I have no idea how many birds roost in those 7 trees, but I figured at least a thousand per minute had to have landed. Anyone who can needs to go check it out.

PS - Plan on a car wash after your visit.
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Hey - don't be starting any "bad press"! We didn't get hit by a single poop when we visited the roost. We parked our truck back from the trees, probably 100 yards, and it didn't get hit either.

Hi KEL.

The roost was not at Sharpstown Mall until last year. Two (okay maybe three) years ago, the PM Premigratory Roost was at the Hospital on I-10 at Gessner. We went to see it then, but couldn't find it last year. I may have lost a year or two here - but, I just wanted to clarify that this Sharpstown Mall location is not that old. And, it may move again - maybe that's how the Houston area PMs manage to stay out of trouble. They keep moving around... and nobody knows who they are or how long they will stay...
Sincerely,
Laverne

I must have parked too close, about 50 yards. My truck got hit about 20 times. But it did'nt bother me, I was too into the whole sight. When I left the trees resembled a very large bee hive, with all the birds shoulder to shoulder and moving en mass.
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

yeah - awestruck - mesmerized - hypnotized - intoxicated - and I seem to have gotten that old crick back in my neck... you know, the one we all suffer with in the springtime... 8)

What's weird is, we rode all the way over to Sharpstown with a big splat of poop on the hood of our truck from "OUR" martins. They drop do-do on it all the time. I don't care - it keeps the poop sacks off the ground and that way the ground dwelling predators can't find the colony.
Sincerely,
Laverne

A be hive!! That is a perfect way to explain what it looked like! A wonderful busy-loud-wouldn't-believe-it-unless-you-see-it bee hive. :lol:

We got out without poop also and that was standing under the tree for awhile. Now my sister that fell under the trees and landing on her back is another story... 8)

Lisa

For the ones who went to the Sharpstown Roost:

Do you remember from what direction the birds were flying in to the roost? I have had thousands of birds that stretch from my back yard ongoing for about a mile on the telephone lines. They all fly off around 8:30 or so nightly and I was wondering where they were going.

If you were in Sharpstown the birds would be coming from the Northwest. I am in West Houston close to Westheimer and Kirkwood area. Anyone notice what direction they were coming from?

Thanks.

Yeah I noticed what direction they were coming from. EVERY DIRECTION! I had my binoculars, and would look off in the distance in all directions . The sky was full of birds everywhere.
Laverne

hey dkjtwo!

You need to cruise on over and check it out. You shouldn't use your ultralight to view the roost - all the birds could cause you to crash! :shock:

I am certain - without a doubt - that the birds on your wires are moving on to the Sharpstown Mall Roost. As KEL said - they come in from every direction.

I would like to see the morning dispersal of this roost on radar. Does anybody remember how to do that?

I would like to see the morning dispersal of this roost in person... :grin:
Sincerely,
Laverne