Sparrows

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Don Strickland

It seems unusual that Sparrows would be checking out possible nesting sites this early, but.....Trapped 4 and Maraudered 1 today.
Don
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

Don Strickland wrote:It seems unusual that Sparrows would be checking out possible nesting sites this early, but.....Trapped 4 and Maraudered 1 today.
Don
I'm getting ready to begin trapping! The time has come. :wink:
PMCA Member
_____
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Me three - we toss out mixed seed every AM and PM for the doves - Mourning, Inca, and White-wings here in town, and rural site, add in Common Ground Doves and White-tipped Doves.

House Sparrows sure love that seed mix! And martins are 8-10 weeks away for us, so time to bring out the bait traps. I'll bait those with white bread to cut down on how many doves I have to release.
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

Louise, do you stop feeding when the martins arrive? Do the sparrows stop coming when you stop feeding? I know you are trapping but do you catch them all? I have been thinking about setting up a feeder but don't want to stir the pot as I am almost sparrow free. I have just a few new ones that fly in every year in May and June.

Undecided.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Location has a lot to do with how many house sparrows we each have around us. We are in the city here, and even if we did not feed, we would get plenty of house sparrows when the housing goes up again - we trap all through the martin season, with bait traps always, and in house or gourd traps as needed, shooting whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Sounds you are lucky to have a location that is pretty free of house sparrows. You could try feeding and see what happens. We do not have cardinals here, too urban - just doves. We also feed woodpeckers, mockingbirds, and shrikes, but they get mealworms and crickets, not seed. And we feed hummingbirds year round.

We cut down on feeding during spring and summer.
Last edited by Louise Chambers on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I feed black oil sunflower seeds and have 50 or so yellow and red finches. They are eating it up with the cold. In the front yard I have cardinals, woodpeckers, and blue jays. They like the brush and trees in the front yard. No sparrows around but today thousands of black birds and starlings feeding in droves. The starlings were with the black birds. It was like they were using the black birds for camouflage, so I would think they were black birds??? They are sneaky little devils :twisted:

I wish I lived where the hummingbirds were here all yr. I'm jealous Louise!! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Perfect time of the season for me is now! Catch a lot of the young and dumb ones in the Blaines!! :)
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

It took a week, but I came home from work today to find 4 HOSP in my Blaine's repeater. 3 males (yeah!) and one female. There were two Junco that I had to release. Woo hoo! :) I'll never forget the issue I had with this one male HOSP that wanted a gourd. He was a major pain!
PMCA Member
_____
tim414

taxidermy lady wrote:I feed black oil sunflower seeds and have 50 or so yellow and red finches. They are eating it up with the cold. In the front yard I have cardinals, woodpeckers, and blue jays. They like the brush and trees in the front yard. No sparrows around but today thousands of black birds and starlings feeding in droves. The starlings were with the black birds. It was like they were using the black birds for camouflage, so I would think they were black birds??? They are sneaky little devils :twisted:

I wish I lived where the hummingbirds were here all yr. I'm jealous Louise!! :)
me too..